My first music post here..

Willybomb

I'd recorded the drums and bass, and a couple of guitar tracks a week ago, and over the following week and mixed those, more or less, before doing the vocals and this mix today.

http://users.ncable.net.au/~bakka/Lazy_Gene_Theory-End_Of_Species.wma

Should work shortly.

Everything went through my berry UB2442-fx pro desk, into a hercules 16/12 FW, XP2000+ running Ntrack 3.3. Mixed through Yorkville YSM1i.

NT1 on drum room mic, room guitar cab, vocals
peavey 480s on drum OH
sm57 on snare, close guitar amp
ATM25 on kick, eqed direct out on that channel also used for kick
EV something on floor tom, but not used in mix.
Morley bad horsie wah into a Berry vtone GDI-21 for the solo (four hours worth, that was. I'd alwasy played the start how it is, more or less, but had to come up with a suitable 2nd half).
Bass through a berry Ultra-GI.

Kjaerhaus classic reverb, compressor, master limiter.
Fasoft compressor and echo
Glaceverb reverb
Mastered in Ozone.

Have a listen, let me know any suggestions.

Willy.

Sounds cool, lots of energy.

Vocals are WAY too low, push em up as they are really buried. I like the song and the playing, sounds really tight. This would sound killer if you could really get the vox front and center.

GOOD song & mix. The bass sound is really cool too.
HATE the guitar sounds though.
The guitar arrangements are good though.

Liked the song.....vocals are buried!!!!! if you did the vocals and did the mix then your perception of where the vocals are is skewd......bring them out front, punch them up......its all about the words....the music is for support!!!!

HATE the guitar sounds though.
Can you help me with that? What was it you hated?

The bass is the way it is because it's actually fairly out of time and I wanted to kill the attack on it and just have it fill the bottom end a bit and support the guitars, so I find it slightly amusing/ironic that you like it. It will get re-recorded this week sometime.

Another forum suggested more punch and definiton on the bass, and more click in the kick. I agree with the kick drum, dunno about the bass.

if you did the vocals and did the mix
Not me singing, I'm on guitar and mix but I understand where you're coming from.

Willy.

Hi,
It's me & I'll admit, yet again, that I have a problem with digital & over saturated distortion. Listen to Budgie, Black Sabbath, even early Queen for great distortion effects. Basically I like the guitar to still have it's own character within the sound. Most folk lately, & again a matter of personal choice, seem to select something that is overwhelmingly effect with minimal guitar presence because it did sound awesome but has become awesame.
Your piece has a lot of distinctive character which could become a signature sound WITH YOUR OWN guitar sound rather than dialing in someone else's.
BUT as I said I like the song, playing, etc etc.
If 'twere me I'b set up a tube amp, grab a TUBE preamp if there isn't one in the amp & dial up my fav settings on the guitar (p/up, phase, tone & Vol) plug in and slowly turn up the pre until the guitar's distinctive character just disappears & then wind the pre back a little.
But then again I like single coil, MIJ, no name guitars.

This is the sort of stuff I want to hear - this is really good feedback.

I'd be interested to know what you think I did the guitars through. Basically, its a marshall valvestate vs102r close miced with an sm57 (panned to one side) and the NT1 across the (treated) room (panned left, I think). There's nothing else in the signal chain - just my homemade Lesocaster (dimarzio super distortion in the bridge, WSC in the neck, fixed bridge strat with a 2nd hand hondo neck - certainly not MIJ, but there's nothing on the headstock!). The sound is pretty much the live sound I use.

There are two digital guitars though. The E Octave chord that kicks in during the chorus on the left is a direct in through the herc's preamp through GuitarSuite's jcm900 model. I'm pretty happy with how that one sounds in the mix, although I'm not 100% on the rythmn of that part..

The wah solo is a morley bad horsey into the GDI-21 on a marshall setting. This was originally done with the amp miced up as before (and sounded great with the two mics), but I wasn't happy with the solo and re-recorded it at 10pm-2am, and couldn't use the amp at the recording volume so I used the GDI-21.

I understand where you're coming from though - I'm a huge Queen fan. Maybe I'm just shit at recording/eqing guitars, lol. I'll agree with the sentiment that the guitars are probably a touch on the side of being too distorted though.

I actually like the vocals at that level. I think there's basically two types of people: those who like vocals loud and hovering over everything, and those who like them to blend in with the instruments. I'm the latter.

The guitars aren't my type. A little to muddy to hear the notes and it ends up just kind of providing a noise background, but it works.

Back