My Adrian Belew Tribute Album contribution

37point5

Hey all,

Just finished up my contribution to the Adrian Belew Tribute Album (http://www.murple.com/adrianbelew/). Even if you don't know who Adrian is, you've probably heard him; he's played on albums with Paul Simon, NIN, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Zappa, King Crimson, etc.

Anyway, this is an instrumental version of a song called "Wavelength" that he did with "The Bears". I didn't dare try a vocal version, since the vocals could never get any better than the original.

Equipment list: Rode NT-1, Oktava MC-012, ART Tube MP, Behringer MX602A, Delta 66 (at 24 bits), Cakewalk Pro 9.0, Waves and DSP-FX plugins, Fruity Loops, a cheap Strat knockoff with Lace Sensors, a Jay Turser Hollowbody, and a GR-30 guitar synth for the bass and nylon string guitar.

I also finally finished re-recording the drums for "Tracey" with my new mic setup. I also brought the bass up more in the mix as previously suggested in this forum, and added some minor nonsense.

"Wavelength" is at

and "Tracey" is at http://mp3.com/37point5/

Looking forward to hearing any and all comments. You guys are always helpful and inspiring.

Thanks,
Ryan

You have some real kill tracks on the mp3.com site. What Syle?! has some amazing textures!
Im definite that you got that GR-30 juicy.
One of my favorite guitarists,Reeves Gabrels of David Bowie fame, uses guitar synth. Not to mention that he has also quite an interesting style of playing lead.

I love Tracey's guitar lead.Its the nylon guitar right? Is it when you do a pick harmonic you get that feedbacking sound from it? I can't quite discribe it but its there at 2:17 and 00:33.
I like how the lead guitar starts losing control of scale around 1:11. I got to start trying that sometime.very Reeves Gabrelish.

Wow man!!! Both these tracks were really cool. I LOVE the guitars in Tracy especially. Great layering and arrangement.

Seriously. Killer stuff. Very tasty.

KaBudokan, thanks for the compliments. The songs take a little too long to get onto tape, but I guess it's worth it in the end ;)

William, that sound isn't actually feedback, it's a flute patch from the GR-30 guitar synth. I just doubled the lead melody and then put it really softly into the mix (my fiance insisted that 'her' song have a flute in it). It's a "subliminal" flute, if you will. But, it sounds good ;) And yes, the main melody in "Tracey" is one of the many nylon guitar patches.

Thanks for the Reeves Gabrels comparison; I remember buying the "Tin Machine" albums just for his playing, even though the actual songs got on my nerves after a while. However, I think the dissonant (the "off scale") parts are probably more influenced by Belew and Vai than by Gabrels, although he certainly reinforced my desire to play that type of solo.

Oh, and thanks a bunch for the Tube MP tip. I'll try it out on my next song and let you know how it turns out.

Ryan

Nice interpretation of Wavelength. Rob, Bob, and Chris still play out every once in a blue moon. Do you know if the new Bears CD is finished yet? (I should check the Psycho-Depot).

[This message has been edited by pglewis (edited 05-25-2000).]

That reminded me of a tune that would play over the credits at the end of an old movie, makes me want to start reminiscing (sp). That's a compliment ;), and a lot of that feeling I get from it is because of the performance. Very nice job all around, especially on the percussion parts. I didn't know stuff like that was possible using Fruity Loops.

Good to see Atlanta represented well on the BBS.

Thanks for the great response, everybody. Glad you liked the song. I'd say you should go buy the original, but since it's been out of print for over 10 years and never sold that well to begin with, I think you'd have a bit of trouble finding it. Oh well.

pglewis, I don't think the new Bears album is very close to completion, since Adrian is really busy with a lot of King Crimson stuff right now. But there is a "preview" song from the new album on Adrian's new "Coming Attractions" CD that is really good. If the rest of the album turns out as well as that one song, maybe The Bears will finally get some mainstream recognition.

Gibs and Jon X, thanks for the percussion compliments. I only used 4 samples as far as I can remember. 3 conga-type things, panned slight left, center, and slight right, and then a tabla-type thing that I sampled from my GR-30. I pitch shifted the tabla randomly throughout the song, and humanized the whole pattern, but other than that no trickery or anything was used. Just me pushing little button icons for an hour trying to get decent sounding patterns.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and respond, everyone. It's greatly appreciated :)

Ryan

Back