My achievement so far....

ikan

Guys,

This is my 1st recording since I joined this forum. It's an incomplete song, based on some ideas that came across my mind yesterday (sorry for the sloppy guitar playing). I still haven't decided whether to make this a ballad song or just kicked in some heavy guitar riffs & grunge/metal up right after the end! Haha!

Before I proceed with finalizing the song, I'd appreciate if you guys could give some comments. I just joined the complicated world of audio recording early this year and the learning curve is very steep for a super-duper noob like me.

boomp3.com/listen/by53g30ul_p/idea-master

Anyway, here's the list of equipments that I used for this song:

Schecter C-1 E/A (older model with 2 separate jacks for electric & piezo signals respectively)
Line 6 Toneport UX2
Gearbox
Reaper

Track 1 (Guitar - pluck):
Bypassed the Gearbox, just recorded raw electric guitar signal.

FX chain:
JS: Guitar/amp-model (Dumble Overdrive Special - Tweed Deluxe preset)
DX: Sonitus Compressor (Vintage preset - Teletronix LA2A)
DX: Sonitus Reverb (default)

Panning: Center

Track 2 (Guitar - acoustic strum):
Guitar's piezo pickup through Gearbox's Acoustic Guitar preset (Xtra Tone)

FX chain:
JS: SStillwell/stereowidth (default)
VST: ReaVerbate (default)

Panning: 17% right

Track 3 & 4 (Guitar - strum):
Guitar's electric signal (stock pickup - Duncan Designed) through Gearbox's Boulevard preset

No FX chain. Track 3 panned 45% left, track 4 panned 45% right

Track 5 (Guitar - acoustic solo):
Guitar's piezo pickup through Gearbox's Acoustic Guitar preset (Xtra Tone)

FX chain:
DX: Sonitus Compressor (Vintage Mix preset)
JS: SStillwell/realoud (69.2% mix)

Track 6 (drums):
EZdrummer (EZX Pop/Rock). Dragged & dropped the MIDI presets in its library. Just tweaked a lil' bit of its mixer. No FX chain.

Track 7 (bass):
Using the Automatic mode in Bornemark Broomstick Bass VSTi (Chapman Stick). Clicked the notes on the built-in keyboard & recorded MIDI output. The next FX/plugin inline is Ampeg SVX (SVT-4 PRO preset).

Mastering: Auto Audio Mastering System (AAMS). Reference: Modern RMS

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks & have a nice day!

CIRO, you saved me for the 2nd time. And I'm just 2 posts away to be able to do so myself. Thanks again! ;)

Haha... gotcha! There's nothing wrong with your connection but I intentionally cut it short. It's like a sneak preview. I'll try to finish the song soonest possible and keep you updated. Thanks.

I think the lead guitar could use some cut to the high end a bit. Other than that I like the mix. So far, you're doing pretty good...:D

Welcome to the boards!

This seems to be a decent start to your home recording repitiore. I might say that the attack on the strummed guitar parts was a little harsh, but the overall mix is good.

I look forward to hearing more!

The lead playing was really nice. The tone on the lead was pleasant. It gets lost in the mix in a couple of places.

The acoustic guitars in the intro are pretty thin. I think the song would be better supported by more lush guitars thru there. There's also quite a bit of verb on them, where the other instruments are more dry. To me, dryer is better for this tune.

Little crackles at :46-:47.

The bass is VERY muddy. My ear is hearing too much energy in it from 250-300hz. There might be a problem with it lower too. But on my headphones I can be sure of that.

VomitHatSteve: Thanks for the warm welcome. Noted on the strumming, will try to edit it :)

TripleM: Noted on your observations. Yeah, recording bass track is hardest part for me coz I don't have a real bass guitar. Further, I'm not that good in using piano rolls. Nonetheless, I'll try to improve wherever I can. Thanks anyway :)

Anyway, last nite, when I was thinking of completing the above song, new idea came. Not to just let it go away, I recorded a new clip for a new song instead. I know I'm gonna piss you guys off for posting another unfinished project but I can't help it :p. This time, showcasing some heavy distorted guitar riffs:

Arabian Influence??

Post your comments & let me know about the recording (especially whether the rhythm guitar tracks have enough BALLS!!). Any idea on how to start or finish the the song is highly appreciated. Thanks :D.

Back