Motor City Blues

queepy

aka Variaxman
I wrote and recorded this one last night...inspired by the adventures of Detroits Mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick.....been mixing for awhile and thought it might be a good time to tale a break and get some fresh ears/opinions....I think the vocal may be a bit buried.....
Streaming:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6274829&q=hi

And The Lyrics:
Motor City Blues

Livin’ in the Motor City
It Ain’t that much fun
Feels like a factory shuts down every day
While the mayor is out getting’ some

Dancing on the grave of a dead city
Saying catch me if you can
Another 4 long years
To work on his master plan

I wish you would all just open your eyes
And take the power back

Well I Turn on the tv yeah
more bad news
Text messages and scandals
It’s no wonder I got the blues

The price of gas keeps goin up
While our kids, they die in the sand
Yet it’s party time at the manoogian
I just don’t understand

I wish you would all just open your eyes
And take the power back

~~~~~~~

Well I open my Sunday paper
Always expect the worst
Cause’ the biggest section in there
Is foreclosures about to burst

Vultures circle with dollars in there claws
Waiting for the dreams to die
Then scoop down for the easy pickins
Leave a penny for the prize

Hey!
What’s that sound Kwame
I think your text message got a reply!

Good groove going on here... Drums and bass sit well together. The vocals are buried like you thought. Not sure if it's too much effect on them. Guitar solo is low in the mix also, but only by a tad.

I like the intro, too. :cool:

cheers,

Very cool & very Detroit - angry!
Guitars a LITTLE louder please.
Is there an occasional pitch issue with the vox?
Excellent bass tone.
Good groovin' drums.
Top shelf thus far Variqueepy.

quite like this !!......sort of reminds me of steely dan a little bit....like the lyric ....the mix itself is probably the weakest thing about it.

the vocal is bad on the first verse then gets better ...but lets it down overall but u can hear that the vocal has the potential....

the leadbreak could flow more rather than sound like bits bolted together...

Nice groove Axeman....kinda funky, kinda rockish...I like it. Other than the vocals being a bit too verby or whatever you have on them, no complaints. Dry them up man....you can do it...:D

Fun tune man...very fun. :)

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback...I did some work on the vocals and actually cut a new vocal track, took dogmans advice with the vocal slapback with the classic delay VST....also tried to sing it a bit with a kinda Alice Cooper growl....I think it's still pitchy but it feels better....I added a snippet from Kwame Kilpatricks Mother,congress woman Carolyn Kilpatrick, coming to the defense of her beleaguered son, and moved the Kwame snippet to the end of the song...not sure if this works so thoughts would be appreciated...oh, yeah, also tweeked the eq of the bass guitar a little to make it stand out a little more from the kick....
here is a new link:
http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6274829&q=hi

I think the vocals sound better in the second one. Even the second one more in general. Cool song. I want to say the drums sound really good but I think they could be a little meatier. The kick comes through really well on my system. He sounds like a good drummer but I think the drums during the verses could take up more space. Maybe a louder snare. But thats just my opinion. Cool guitar solo and tones. Gets a full sound going a lot during that. Did you use subtractive eq on the drum mics? Everything has their own spot but it just seems so tamed. Good mix, good song, nice stuff. Eric :)

I think the vocals sound better in the second one. Even the second one more in general. Cool song. I want to say the drums sound really good but I think they could be a little meatier. The kick comes through really well on my system. He sounds like a good drummer but I think the drums during the verses could take up more space. Maybe a louder snare. But thats just my opinion. Cool guitar solo and tones. Gets a full sound going a lot during that. Did you use subtractive eq on the drum mics? Everything has their own spot but it just seems so tamed. Good mix, good song, nice stuff. Eric :)

Hey,thanks a lot! The drums loops I cut up and mixed for the tune, they are from Cakewalks smart loops drumatic collection...kinda limited on eqing individual drums such as snare , kick etc.. so I just try and get in the ballpark ...I did cut a bit at 800 hz on the drum track....
Thanks for listening!

Cool man, sounds like you have kind of an hendrix SRV tone going on the guitar/playing... Vox sound good to me (I'm listening to your new version) awesome breakdown at 1:10... the guitar solo really fills things up, meaty and cool :cool: Cool groove in this tune through out, dig it :D

P.S - Suns vs. Pistons in the finals this year finally... see you there :D

Great groove. I didn't hear the first version, so the vocal level on this is fine, to me. Great guitar work all the way through. The drums sound good, but there's something weird going on with the toms. They're panned reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy wiiiiiiiiiiiiide. There's one on the left that sounds like it's coming from my neighbor's house to the left.:)

Aside from that, I like this.

Cool man, sounds like you have kind of an hendrix SRV tone going on the guitar/playing... Vox sound good to me (I'm listening to your new version) awesome breakdown at 1:10... the guitar solo really fills things up, meaty and cool :cool: Cool groove in this tune through out, dig it :D

P.S - Suns vs. Pistons in the finals this year finally... see you there :D

Thanks Snake, yeah, I remember around this time last year we were saying the same thing hunh? I think that would be a fantastic series, but things are tough in the west man, with San Antonio, Dallas, Lakers etc... i think we may have it just a little easier....

Great groove. I didn't hear the first version, so the vocal level on this is fine, to me. Great guitar work all the way through. The drums sound good, but there's something weird going on with the toms. They're panned reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy wiiiiiiiiiiiiide. There's one on the left that sounds like it's coming from my neighbor's house to the left.:)

Aside from that, I like this.

Thanks Rami, in general I like the feel of this collection of loops except for that very fact that they have some real wacky panning on the fills....not much I can do about it unfortunately....thanks for the good word on the guitar stuff...appreciate it!

Never heard the first cut Queepy but this one sounds fine. The vocals are audible and I can make out the lyrics, and blend okay with the instruments. Sweet solo around 2:10 there. Overall I'd be pretty happy with this mix....good groove... The intro/outro is hilarious!

:cool::D:cool::D

Never heard the first cut Queepy but this one sounds fine. The vocals are audible and I can make out the lyrics, and blend okay with the instruments. Sweet solo around 2:10 there. Overall I'd be pretty happy with this mix....good groove... The intro/outro is hilarious!

:cool::D:cool::D

Thanks man! That snippet on the outro is Kwamme from the Super Bowl Detroit hosted a couple of years ago....:p

Back