mix help for a classical tune......dudes?

B.SABBATH

hello again,

I'm sure people are getting sick of seeing my name, but I always try to return the favor by checking out everyones tunes in return...

I write a lot of tunes because I have no life..

This is a tune I reworked for a collaboration with David K.

After hearing his other stuff, I contacted him and asked if he would play violin on a song... he was cool enough to say yes...

This is the song before he adds the violin...

I'm posting it because I would like to get some feedback on the mix so far... The words I'm looking for here are, "just add the violin and it's done, dude!" :D

So I'm looking for mix comments mostly....... hows it sound?

It's a tune I reworked special for this... I added more piano and organ..

thanks if you bother.. I will take it off Nowhere in a few days until its finished. Then David can start a thread when he has added the coolness of the violin..:cool:

unfinished

www.nowhereradio.com/samij/singles

Hey B. I was just at NWR to post a remix when I saw you had something new, started playing it and came here and saw your thread.
Dude this is very cool. Right up my little alley. And ya...it's ready for the violins IMHO.
I would have a lot of fun adding some guitars to something sometime if ya want. Wish we'd have met when I lived in Long Island.

Dude...

"just add the violin and it's done, dude!":D
Very cool indeed...ambiece is perfect...the cathedral organ is slightly harsh and probably would be better shorter and softer at it's first spot but, I liked the second spot just fine......hell...why not wait to re-mix...ya know?

Very cool man...I will be looking for the added fiddle :)
Take it easy,
Joe

SLuiCe - samicide@hotmail.com email me, we'll collaborate..:cool: thanks for checkin' it out...

joro - thanks. I was going for the big pipe organ sound, so I tried to adjust the volume accordingly. I guess I may have over done it...appreciate the heads up!

Satch - thanks

The organ part at 1:40-something sounds weird, since it just comes out of nowhere, and goes into oblivion. I'm not sure if you should leave it there, or at least make some small bridge there to make it sound more flowing. As one of the Genesis guys said, "You can connect any two pieces of music with a good bridge and make it work", or something like that. Of course, some of the old Genesis songs also had the same problem, but anyway. This song has lots of beautiful individual parts that don't seem to relate to each other good enough. It sounds like this song is five tiny songs played one after another. This song definately needs some arranging, or maybe I just can't yet imagine the violin melody, that could join the parts together.

The mixing is good, in spite that the acoustic guitar sound midi. In fact I could bet it's midi.

hey Cranky,

sounds like this tune suffers from the same illnesses as the others.. parts that dont always work well together.. It's kinda hard to tell without the violin. This was put together mainly as backround for the violin.. It is unfinished without it... I would be drowning it with solos otherwise..:D
I had a previous version of this with fake violin and cello etc, but I thought real violin is what would be the best............ and the organ, that just sounded good at the time....:D
Thanks for tolerating yet another unsettled attempt at music....If the mix sounds decent, thats the best I can hope for at this stage.. later Cranky I'll talk to you in the other thread about the collaboration situation..:cool:

sounds really good. I cant wait to hear it when its finished. good colabarations coming around. strange stuff as always sabbath

The mix is pretty close. You have a lot of liberty with that type of music but there wasnt any harshness or bass spikes. I would wait until you've heard the violin part before you commit to the mix or the arrangement.

You've got some cool parts there but I would have to agree that they dont really fit. The song would probably work better if you picked a couple of the sections and just exanded on them. It's also tempting with keyboards to use a lot of different sounds. It usually sounds more cohesive if you limit your patches to a few different sounds. It makes it sound more like the same group is playing the whole song.

and agreeing with Mr roadkill...I might add...is there/will there be enuff space for Mr. violen when the cathedral is rockin' out with Mr. Lurch?....

...spaced out, flanged violens, with the reverb knob up to 12!!

Sabb,

The mix sounds really good.

I think if you expanded like Tex said and blended some of the instruments together more,start the next before the first ended since their are not abrupt differances in the instruments,eg:from acoustic to metal.
Might flow better.

Just my 2 cents.

Like you said,tough to get a feel for without the violin melody.
Why don't you repost your keys version?

Collaborations are cool!
How are you guys going to accomplish this one?

Can't wait to hear more.

Best to you,
Pete

i agree with the idea that something needs to bridge into the organ section, but the mix sounds good and tune itself is pretty. Kinda takes me away somewhere. Can't wait to hear the final version!

mixmkr said:
and agreeing with Mr roadkill...I might add...is there/will there be enuff space for Mr. violen when the cathedral is rockin' out with Mr. Lurch?....

...spaced out, flanged violens, with the reverb knob up to 12!!
No way in hell I am playing over that Organ!!
It will work, trust me. I gots me a plan. I gotta finish some projects with Grant, Lee and a big hairy Monkey first. I have been really getting in to this Collab. thing, having a blast playing so many different kinds of music.

This one will be good, I got some tricks up my sleeve. Joro and AlChuck are getting tunes done this week. Extremely different, lots of fun

Thanks for the input guys, it is appreciated much! :)

I cant wait to hear what David puts on this...

Dave, do what ever you want to this.. I figured you wouldnt play over the organ... I'm sure whatever you do will be very cool..

When Nowhere is up, I will take it off the page until it's finished..

Thanks again for the comments.......................dudes..:cool:

DavidK said:

I gotta finish some projects with Grant, Lee and a big hairy Monkey first.

That's if I can get my sh*t together :(
Sorry Davis...ummm err...David:D and everybody else too...

yEAH...i AGREE THAT THE PIPE ORGAN IS A LITTLE ABRUPT. mAYBE INTRODUCE A SINGLE NOTE A FEW BARS IN ADVANCE TO SEGUE INTO IT. kINDA HARD TO BE DEFINITIVE W/O THE MELODY FROM THE VIOLIN THOUGH. OVERALL, NEAT IDEA TREATED WELL.
chazba

Back