Metal Mix Critique

AntWise

Hey Everyone.

Im not sure how many people are into metal here but I have been learning as I go and working on this mix of by bands single. I have got to a point where I am not sure where to look to improve it. Could any of you take a listen and see what you think. I know it isn't perfect but I'm not sure which elements to look at to make it better.

Some feedback i received so far:

1. Lacks bottom end
2. Raise drum mix
3. Boost Guitar low mids
4. Parallel compress bass and/or Guitars to add weight.

Any help and direction any of you have would be amazing.

Dropbox - The Redeemed Mix.aif

Sounds pretty standard for the sub-genre. Djentastic.

The cymbals are probably a little hard-panned for how dry they are.
Right at the end, I caught a pretty high tail of noise floor. It might be good to figure out where that's coming from.

The first thing that struck me was that the vocal, guitars, and drums are all competing for attention. Nobody is winning.

I agree with the "lacks bottom end" observation.

I don't think I'd boost the guitar low mids. It's going to make them cloudy. I'd retrack with less gain and less high end. There is a lot of fizz in the guitars.

This song ROCKS. I loved it from start to finish!

Mix notes:
It's very mid range heavy, and also slammed to infinity with limiters. It therefore lacks depth and width, and if this was a final product, might get rejected from certain vendors. Other than the loudness, as a final mix, I think it works having mid range focus, as having a scooped final mix is hard to work with from my perspective. I agree with other comments that the guitars have a graininess to them, but I think it's also workable.

Here is my interpretation of what I think the mix could be. I tried to keep the mid-range focus of the original mix, but added in some low end on the kick and bass and I processed the side channels, adding a wide boost around 150hz to help beef the guitars without building up too much. There was definitely a threshold between just right and too much. I tried to hit it. I also tried to fine tune the snare, vocals and high end a bit. I may over overdone it on the snare ...

View attachment The Redeemed mix adjusted 2.mp3

Last edited:
dope piano part in the beginning... into aggressive intensity... this sounds good man. I'm feeling a good balance. I don't know how to improve it to be honest.

Nice job! please give us more :)

Back