Melange de la Chauve-Souris

Music sounds great as your usual stuff. The drums and vocals are too low for my taste, the guitars overpower everything, its a lot like a 70s-80s fusion mix. Great if that's what your going for, but I'd love to hear it with the drums and vocals really out front.

PDP

YEP.
i'm warming up to a new mix/approach with this one, so comments are welcome.
heavier drum mix, for sure....
dry as a bone.

i'm actually thinking about doing this with a dry, slightly overdriven strat tone instead.
maybe even mix acoustics into the main mix (i wrote it on acoustic anyway)

honestly, i think the vox are plenty loud as they are.
i can hear them all clear as a bell.
but, i think a different approach with the guitars, just might solve that problem anyway, so it's still right on.

Mix is good, vox are OK, they do compete, but it sounds intentional, drums if you want more drive, but I could hear them, they just were not as driving.

Hard for me to go any deeper than that as this is not my style but it did sound well mixed and recorded, that part I can say. :)

dm60

thanks for listening, appreciate it

yes, the mix as it is, was intentional.
i don't like 'modern' in your face vocals, i prefer a more balanced approach to mixing ala early 70's rock classics....
just what i like.

i kind of ride the fence, between those classic sounds, and a bit more modern approach.
drums are definitely coming up and will be much more aggressive on the next mix.

really appreciate the listen especially if it's not your thing, that's cool.

Your usual complete package.
There seemed to be too many lead notes in the 1st minute but things settled after that.
Overall possibly a bit too loud & bright.

Last edited:
rayc

hey ray!
i thought this thread had just died out a quiet death,
sorry i didn't see your post earlier...

too manh lead notes.
nope, can't happen.
LOL

well, for SOME folks, i'm sure it happens all the time.

and that was me reigned in.

LOL again....

loud and bright, this was professionally mastered, so i cannot attest to EQ and loudness, except that it is in line with modern mixes.

i guess it's like the todd rundgren thing, he always mixed stuff bright, but it seemed to translate best over the most wide range of playback systems.

but i'm planning on a full re-mix, even re-tracking bits and pieces, of that entire album, for a digital release...so i'll be taking all the comments into the next mix sessions, so i appreciate the feedback.

foulphil
thanks man.
you want more solos, you got em!!
heheh

it does sound professionally mastered, very well balanced to my ears and not too bright or dark, also the vocals are right to me balance wise.

btyre
thanks for listening and commenting..
it's good to get a tally of comments, the truth is somewhere in between, i would suppose.

i definitely want a more aggressive drum mix on my next attempt,
and i know that will change almost everything.

thanks again!

Back