Megaman!

Excellent, another game coverer. I do the same thing, only music from RPGs (Final Fantasy etc). Regarding the song; the playing was great and the guitars sounded good. I didn't care for the drum samples, but they are pretty videogame-esque.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2076&alid=297

Listen to "FF4 - Airship". This is an older mix, I haven't had time to upload the new one.

Also, check these guys out:

http://www.minibosses.com/

Someone on the board showed them to me, they cover Nintendo songs too.

Who said anything about drum samples!?!?! Also, can somebody with incredible studio knowledge critique my first recordings in my "studio"?

The Seifer-

i was never really a huge megaman fan so I have no way of judging the accuracy of this tune. It sounds like you got some descent guitar sounds, thats always a good start. The drum machine is a bit annoying in my opinion but it does fit in with the whole nintendo era thing. Sounds like a good first effort from what i can hear on my computer speakers.
FattMusiek-the minibosses rock out on some contra like no other lol. I wish someone would do some music from the legend of zelda or the earlier resident evil games lol. That would be really cool. More castlevania as well.

I listened to topman's theme.

Nice guitar playing. Real tight performances. Pretty good guitar tones.

I would however say that the "main" distorted guitar part could have used a little more midrange definion. But that's a minor nitpick. Try playing around with it if you agree. I also might suggest rolling off some the guitar's lows. They're overlaying the bass a bit.

There are quite a few people around who can spot a drum machine or samples immediately. I'm not one of them. But having said that, this sure didn't sound like a mic'ed up kit. That's probably why you got those comments. One other thing on the drums... Those crash cymbals are panned pretty wide. Kind of gives a ping-pong effect when you're listening on headphones. I'd suggest bringing them a little closer to center.

Hope this helps. Good song, solid guitar playing.

Yeah, I understand about the EQ definition, but its so hard to get it right especially when I don't have real monitors and no real mastering experience. I used a VST plugin called T-Racks and just tweaked some of the presets a little to get a decent master.

Edit: Also, after studying some commercial cds, I noticed that a lot of them pan certain drums in a kit in certain directions based on how the kit is arranged, so I experimented with that a little.

The Seifer said:
Also, after studying some commercial cds, I noticed that a lot of them pan certain drums in a kit in certain directions based on how the kit is arranged, so I experimented with that a little.

Yeah I'd most definitely still pan them. I was suggesting just not panning them as wide.

The Seifer said:
Who said anything about drum samples!?!?! Also, can somebody with incredible studio knowledge critique my first recordings in my "studio"?

Holy shit, I take back anything positive I said. How rude can you be? Asshole. You probably didn't even listen to my cover, so self-centered.

Those drums are not tracked by the way.

Good job, man.

I listened to them through my studio monitors,
sounded good to me. I mean, i'm no pro,
and I'm sure anyone who is pro would be far from saying that
your recordings are in the upper calliber range,
but for a guy in his lower budget studio,
I congratulate you!

Are you playing everything on your own?

FattMusiek said:
Holy shit, I take back anything positive I said. How rude can you be? Asshole. You probably didn't even listen to my cover, so self-centered.

Those drums are not tracked by the way.

huh? what are you talking about?

whether it was a drum machine or not

I would bet a large amount of money that those are not acoustic drums recorded with mics. The cymbal hits don't even decay right. The ride cymbal is pretty much the "proof in the pudding for me" Listen to how each hit on the bell is consistenly the same pitch cut off at the same place each time. Maybe im wrong who knows. I mean if it is a drum machine whats the big deal? Over half the guys on this board use some sort of drum machine or programming software. If they are truly acoustic drums, what in th hell are you doing to make them sound like a drum machine and why? lol I still say they aren't, go ahead and come clean.
Fattmusiek is pissed because one of your previous post seem to say that he is not qualified to critique your material and you would rather have a real "pro" listen to it. You may not have meant it this way but thats how it appears in the text.

Yup, that's why I'm mad. About the drum programming, maybe it was all misunderstanding. Maybe he didn't ask to be critiqued on them. Who knows.

Also, why don't you tell us how you recorded this. What equipment did you use? How'd you mic the guitars?

When you say "I have a hard time understanding how to master correctly and would love some advice." I believe you mean "mixing". Mastering is something completely different.

mastering-

we would have to hear a before and after to be able to judge the effects of the mastering job. Differences aside, if you like recording and you like video games your alright in my book. Welcome aboard to the bbs.
OK so what exactly did you do for the drums? I have to know now that there is a debate.

Wireneck, I'm fairly sure this guy misused the term "mastering" and meant mixing. It is a common mistake methinks.

I was just joking with my post, I wasn't trying to be arrogant. I've just seen guys around here that do professional cd mastering and I was hoping that one of them could comment on my use of EQ, compression, and limiting, which I believe is mastering.

I was also joking about the drums, they are samples. So many "average joe" listeners are easily tricked into believing that the drums are real, but of course the pros can tell! I used wav samples off of a cakewalk guitar tracks cd and just arranged them in the order that a guy would hit them. The rest of the tracks were just recorded by me sitting on my bedroom floor with a guitar and my computer, not an actual studio. I have a terratech dmx 6fire audio card, and I used Nuendo 2 and a VST plugin called T-Racks. Thats it :)

I did download your airship remix, and it's a pretty catchy tune! It is played and arranged perfectly for that song. I think it should be longer of course but my songs are also pretty short. I would like to hear it mastered with a lot more compression and limiting to give it that loud kickass punchy sound, but I seem to be one of the only people who like that type of mastering. It just sounds good to me...

Back