Mastering Piano tracks here. need comments

Thanks very much for the comment on capturing exactly what the piano sounds like. I recently came to the conclusion that what I want to do in sound is stay an engineer and focus on "capturing" sounds.. I want to make the fundamental idea of "capturing" my life's work.. I do not wish to "produce" anything... only capture.....

I agree with everything you are saying about the younger players... I really enjoyed micing this piano and I am glad I spent the time it took to get it right. I think I might actually purchase a pair of 4041's in the future for myself.. They required absolutely no EQ to get what I had and I mixed other mics in there for the final mix which might have muddied it up a bit but that's what the mastering stage is for. I really appreciate all your help guys!

I did not boost at 1.5K but rather I started at 2K and played with it up to 3K and then did a 3db high shelf starting at 6K.. I think it was alright.. but I'm interested in what your guys hear.

This is turning into a very helpful Mixing session folks!

THANK YOU!

Sounds a LOT better to me now!:)

You may indeed have gone just a hair overboard with the brightness - and I wouldn't abandon the idea of beefing up those bass notes a little - but in my opinion you're definitely on the right track here.

Chris

thanks Groucho.. I'm listening to some of your music from your webpage right now... cool stuff... what kind of keyboard is that?

HEY MICHAEL JONES! Where the Heck are ya man!?
Ya gotta post on this one man you're the man with the chops!

G'Night Folks
Phreak- Out

you guys gonna let this die? c'mon.. work with me here..... I need to make suer this is gonna be the right EQ treatment for the Piano .. let me know If I overdid it.

I'm a classical pianist/composer and the Demo w/EQ (last version) "touched my heart" much more than the first. I'm new to the recording side of things and was looking for info. on micing, specifially, a grand piano. I agree w/Studioviols' comments. Capturing the essence of what the musician sees in his/her mind when playing will make the difference between a piece that draws emotion.....and a piece that feels "flat". I learned quite a bit from listening and reading this thread. Thanks!!

Thanks alot for dropping in a having a listen Pashun.
I'm glad that you enjoyed the recording and I look forward to your input on these forums in the future.. i noticed that that was your first post.. thanks for finding my thread a reason to post here and I hope you stay!

Thank you also for commenting on the improved newer mix. I hope the others have a chance to hear the two so that they can make their comparison and maybe comment on how to improve what I've got so far.

Back