Major Overhaul of 1st Song post. Please Please give a listen

Alanfc

I have finally finished repairing this song. Please hear this.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2962&alid=-1

Title: "REVISED Rolling Mix 1"

I don't plan on prefacing my future posts with alot of comments but in this case I'd like to share the repairs/changes I made to this, so I can learn what works, almost works, or not. I left the old version dated 5/23 one up on my page too.

-Song arrangement and some chords changed. Also shortened.
-Vocals have more of my natural voice but, I found that I still needed to use the higher voice at times to get the song kicking properly. Backing vocals also changed.
-Guitars: One guitar part ! Not 16 like in the previous version. Just copied it once for panning 25% L/R. Any wider panning, to my ears, made it too weak. Also bought an SM-57 (that thing has made me very happy). No odd fade-ins, no weird cuts like the last version. Just played straight through like live. Only took like a thousand takes.
-Low End parts: Kick & Bass still confuse me. I know I need one or the other to rule, and I tried to make it the kick instead of the bass. I use the EQ knowledge I've acquired but my low-end still seems mushy to me. I found that with my new SM-57 I hear the low-end of my guitar like I've never heard before, and wanted my guitar part to be robust and heavy. So I backed off the Bass. Don't know if it worked out mixing tech -wise.

Thanks for listening

I liked the guitar - both the part and the tone. It was quite cool. Pretty cool song.

I'd say you could really boost the bass on this one. It's the type of song that really needs a big bass kick. The guitar really crushes it. The bass has a nice attack to it when it has that little solo riff. But when the guit is playing, there's no defined attack to the bass. The bass part you played was a good one I thought.

You mentioned you copied the guitar track and panned the parts at 25%. It all sounded down the center to me. If you take an exact duplicate track and don't to anything to it, you're not going to get that "full" doubled sound. I'd say to either double track it (my preference) or to put a small delay on one of the copied tracks. Try 10-15 msec for starters and see how it sounds.

The vocals seemed to be a bit washed out in delay and/or reverb. They could probably sound better if they were doubled or tripled. Maybe make them a little more dry and/or use a "smaller" reverb. I detected some pitchiness to them in spots.

I still think the song is pretty cool. Trip...

Triple M-
Thank you for the comments-

On the guitar I have a small delay on the right side 25% track. I will experiment with wider panning though for sure... It just seemed weak when I stretched it out any further than 25 %. Maybe my sense of heaviness is Mono. Maybe if I spread the guitars more though, the bass guitar can come out more.

I think I'll reverse what I tried here, and bring Up the bass and bring Down the kick. I don't want the bass to be missing. As long as I can get a 'slap' from the kick it will still seem like its there, right?

The vocals I have tripled, with the top having the slight delay (guess it was too wet) and the other two all dry, and offset by a frame for some effect. Maybe if I get rid of the time-shifting the vocals will clear up. I'm sorry to say I'm still sort of hiding my voice. It will get better.

Thanks again

I think your pretty darn close on on the eq between the kick snare and bass. The levels are the next deal maybe. I`d bring up the bass and kick now that you got them separated. The guitar is a little strong, as long as your not washing the bass and drums with the guitar frequencies you can bring it down some and it`ll still be strong. Trip was right with the panning thing, delaying one a bit more and swing it a little to the outside a bit and you`ll open up a spot in the middle over the bass and drums for the vocal, which may pops it`s head out anyways when you adjust the rest. Good picking, tight..
Ken

Toki987 -Thanks for the help

I already have the kick -bass -snare volume maxxed out, so I'll turn down and spread out that guitar some more . I think that'll really help. And lighten up the low-end on the guitar a bit.

I'm actually revising the vocal now because my low voice is starting to sound really irritating to me. Plus, today someone told me it seemed like I was trying to sound like David Byrne! (what??)And I respect him , but no way I wanna sound like him... I'm working/changing that vocal right now immediately.... I'm most comfortable going higher anyway, and it'll fit the song better. I just need to breathe and intonate! With my high voice in the previous version from 5/23 I didn't take enough time on it and it stank.

I'll tack the link to the revision on this thread when its done.

Thanks again

Back