a little ditty

dude......sweet piece....nice sound.....the riffs at 2ish seemed strange.....cool..but strange.......I'm typing as it's playing.....are you adding stuff to this??? solos, and or vocals? keys?? I think you should.....but if you dont, it's still cool..

nice acoustic tune..........and sound.

later
sam
(B.Sabbath)

you are the guitar player's player....aren't you?;)
kinda a chorusy 12 string sound...but nice, never the less...

I'd like to know how you go about writing your stuff...

there are a lot of ideas in there..

thanks samicide and mixmkr

sami: ya know I started to put strings and stuff in there to cover up the imprefections but I erased them and said its sounds fine the way it is. I might eventually go back and add a couple highlights and fix a few sqeaks, but for right now I think im gonna leave it although there are a million things that could be done with that piece.

mixmkr: your giving me my first interview... how cool is that!! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homerecording exclusive interview with Chicagos very own Jeff Marcomb :D hehe

mixmkr: how you go about writing your stuff...

JMarcomb: everybody has there own way when it comes to writing. I try to come up with ways all the time to write new pieces. This song was an idea I came up with a few months back thats revolves around 5ths on the guitar. 6th and 2nd string. I stumbled apon this chord pattern while messing around with a wes montgomery tune. Now the whole trick is to make the chords moving around your root note agree with one another/harmonically. The more you play around with a chord(which there a a million way to play one) the more ideas you get to express what your trying to say, musically. Within these chords you can express yourself even further by how hard or soft you play. Next, when modulating away from a chord to say a bridge or chorus .. sometimes I'll actually write done the key Im playing in (eg. A# B# C# D# E# F# G#) then pick the note that sounds best to move to... so if im playing a A#M and Im feeling meloncoly i'll move to the D#m because the IVth note in the key of A# resolves nicley. I usually get around "writiers block" using this method because you can see where you want to go. Samicide asked why the key I picked at around 2:00 sounds so disconsonate... That key I picked resolves nicely with the root key, but sounds odd against the bridge notes i was playing with... does it sound bad? thats relative, but its just part of the story I was trying to tell.

Hey JMarcomb,

I absolutely agree that things here in the clinic have been really good lately, talent abounds and it makes me happy/proud in a wierd but cool way.

This is a nice little track, it's got a really nice, sweet sound to it. I'm also wondering if this is the beginnings of a complete track or if you're gonna keep it as is, which I think would be cool. It would sound really nice with some epic pads and/or strings harmonizing for the second half of the track to really evoke emotion. I like it though man!!!!

Laj

You have a great sound going but I keep waiting for it to do something else (a vocal, another guitar doing lead/fills, etc) ya know what I mean?

JMarcomb said:
Samicide asked why the key I picked at around 2:00 sounds so disconsonate... That key I picked resolves nicely with the root key, but sounds odd against the bridge notes i was playing with... does it sound bad? thats relative, but its just part of the story I was trying to tell.

Sorry for the confusion J. That is not what I meant..'disconsolate' is O.K. in my book. ;)

I was being very very picky because I like your stuff so much, and as someone said to me, you wont improve at this point by just having your ass kissed..:D I was refering to the 'clams.' :D Not the notes themselves, they melody is dead on for me.. It sounds like you had some minor problems playing that part though.

It's O.k. because I have been able to cover it up with my additions :eek:

Just kidding :D.......although this is a sweet piece that I wouldnt mind messing with because it sounds far less complete than 'Blue Moon."

Look forward to hearing what's next from you..:cool: you are a great guitar player..

later
sam

Jeff,

I'm with Track Rat. It's a good start, but it wants more. I'm thinking maybe a counter melody during the theme. But it's your song, so it's best to please yourself first !

Twist

Well played and well recorded. A very nice sound - great tone on the guitar. Reminds me of a Led Zep song that I can't put my finger on right now.

The only thing I can add is that as a 4 minute instrumental, there weren't enough changes in it for my tastes. With the exception of a bridge in the middle, it was the same thing throughout. Or so it seemed to this listener.

ok.. it looks like im going to add some couterharmanies.

4 minute instrumental, there weren't enough changes in it for my tastes. With the exception of a bridge in the middle

There are three themes and a repeating bridge and chorus. for a 4 minute instrumental I would say thats not bad. I mustve fooled you with the term "Ditty" :D I guess im not a conventional writer :) which is what i strive to be

excelent accoustic piece,
I listened to alot of these lately. (Phil Keggy, Don Ross, Laurence Juber, Preston Reed and the likes)

This one defenetly holds it's own in writing and execution.
I like it the way it is but the counter "thingis" were in my mind too when I listened the first time.

This one is great.

What guitar and gear are you using, if you don't mind.
cheers

hey fed..

thanks for the listen!

I am using a Takamine electric/acoustic. It has a decent sound. Excellent playability!

The signal that comes out of my guitar gets split into two which is -fed- hehe into my triton boards L/R inputs. (you dont need an expensive board for effects as you prob already know). I mix in a little reverb/delay from the keyboards onboard effects then stereo into my mixer. The tricky part is mixing in the akg c3000 mic ... this mic doesnt sound good to me.. maybe im not in phase with the other guitar signal? so I usually turn that channel down to a point where you can just hear some nice guitars frequencies. Its hard to position this mic properly... Im constantly trying to get that mic to sound good.

Back