Listen to this... I need feedback.

TamirE

I have a track called "scenes" on my page at www.mp3.com/TamirE
I kinda like it but i do have a lot of problems mixing it right and getting the right drum sounds especially...
(listen to the "clear mix", it sounds better, but it's still not what i'm looking for)
Anyway, please listen and tell me what you think i should do.
you might like it if you're into instrumental prog-rock and guitars.

Tamir.

Well, I can say that I like the tones here. Contructive criticism here and these are only my opinions. Don't take them personally.

-It seems that the rythym and lead are fighting each other. Almost like your using a DAW/Drum machine and than soloing of it. In itself, that's not a bad thing but it just feels like I'm being jerked two seperate ways. A good lead, a good rythym. Which way to go?

-I like the guit tone on the track.

-The whole thing seems synthetic.

-You definitely have the skill to put it all together

-everything starts to work better at around 2:20. Before that, I feel like a 4-legged man in a 3-legged man sack race stumbling all over the place.

If you could get the beginning to work as well rythym-wise as you did after 2:20, you would really be onto something here. I hoped this helped.

whoa, the thread nearly slipped off the edge of the earth! I mean, page! ;) (brings out my "pity" gene every time :) Wonder why you got just one bro (Evildick)? Maybe the title of your thread sounds selfish?? :confused: When I post my first toon, the thread title will be GIMME!!! LISTEN!!! ;)

Okay... the tune...

Sounds like some late 80's metal power ballad... yet, with more of a progressive rock feel. Now, it's starting to sound like fusion.

Hmmm.... on the one hand, you say your mix needs help. On the other, I hear a ton of reverb. Reverb scares me to death! I'm afraid to even get near it in my mixes, and this track has that "Journey - Separate Ways" echoes from outer space! :p :D(probably gives it that 80's feel; the lead with all the 'verb on it, 'pecially).

The song has that lazy, easy listening drum feel to it... moreso even than soft rock. You know what this song would be good for? After that Bob Ross painter guy (who's now dead, sadly) finishes his painting and says "good bye my friend", they roll the credits over the painting. THAT is what this music is :)

MIX: Instinct (and this is just instinct) says some of the mids are gone (between 500 - 1kHz) ... have to rely on instinct, since these are computer MM speakers....

...okay, I'll fire up the MAC and we'll go hear it in the monitor room:

on monitors:

1) Song abruptly starts, and there is a click. Usually that means the wave wasn't cut at a "zero crossing" (zero volume).

2) Wow, wasn't kidding about the verb! It's on everything :)

3) Not hearing many low-mids at all. From about 250Hz-800Hz, the mix seems gutted. If you've boosted the highs and lows in your mix at all, this would happen (since I can't imagine guitars and bass not providing a ton of energy there). If this is the case, flatten the EQ and begin again :(

If you haven't boosted the lows and upper-mids/highs, then you've probably scooped way too many low mids out. If you're using parametric EQ, try tightening the width (Q) to something like 8, and look for mud. 300-400 is a good place to start. Also, if it's a deep cut you've made, try halving it.

This is the main critique I have so far. The performance seems good.

Chad

EDIT: Looking at the file in a spectral analyzer program, it seems the mix is boosted from 1.7kHz up to about 14Khz, where upon it drops way off. If no boost occured, the dip I described above (and there is an EQ dip) seems to be from 230Hz - 1.7kHz, though there is a spike at 350Hz, and it's harmonic (700Hz)... So, it's actually a wider dip, with a few spikes in the road :) Could be several EQ cuts, or a boost at 350. If this is a bunch of EQ scoops, try removing them... or just starting over with a raw mix... and post that. Removing some reverb would likely help :)

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for being "selfish", i was pretty much half-asleep when posting this message :(

As for your reply... I think I did just too much things to the original mix so it became a true salad...
I should try to remix it from scratch I think...

Your reply seems very proffessional but I could actually do something with it.
Do you think I should try "remastering" only - editing the mixdown, or remix the whole thing?
I kinda Liked the "seperate ways" comparison, i kinda like that song...

Anyway, I'll try again...

As for the rythm, the beginning should sound a bit wierd - there are a lot of metric changes there and the drums are sometimes off-beat (in purpose)...

maybe i should just record something new and leave it as it is...

TamirE said:
Hi, sorry for being "selfish", i was pretty much half-asleep when posting this message :(

Don't sweat it, man. I wasn't calling you selfish; just suggested that your thread title might sound that way

As for your reply... I think I did just too much things to the original mix so it became a true salad...
I should try to remix it from scratch I think...

Yeah, try that! :) This time, don't necessarily reach for EQ right away. Plus, a little reverb goes a long way. Have fun!

Chad

Hey,

without the benefit/curse of hearing the other posts, I'll pass along a quick thought or two.

I thought the lead git and the rhythm section took a long time to meet each other. Both elements were ok but, the vision was unsure. when they did tie into each other (oh my, around 2:30 or so) the song gained a certain purpose and power.
The tune exibets(sp?) a wierd relationship twix the rhythm and lead git. It almost sounds like the lead is pulling the rest of the song along. I don't see/hear why a congruent arrangment wouldn't sound better.

I liked you git playing. Your tracks are quite clean and well placed. I'm left with an opinion that you didn't really ask for.......sorry, just uploading my initial thoughts.

Peace,

Theron.

and I thought I was the reverb abuser. I'll hand the trophy over to you!! I got lost in the direction of the song, and the excess reverb started to really get to be too much. There is some good stuff in there, but it was disquised by the recording.

well, thanks for your response.
I'd like to get as many responses as possible.
this track is quite experimental in the start... some people really liked it and some people hated it. too much metrical modulations can cause the listener to feel a bit "lost" and that is exactly my purpose in the beginning. it's up to you to decide if you like this idea or not. in my opinion, it doesn't sound too different from other prog rock groups that try this approach to rythm.
and the rythm in the start is dragged by the bass and the rythm guitar, try following it if you wanna find out exactly what's going on there. the drums are a bit misleading because during the first time your hear the opening line they go to the off-beats while on the second time they play simple 6/8...
As a matter a fact, this is my favourite part in this track. i really think that the ending part is more "usual" and easier to listen too.
maybe that's the problem - prog rock and experimental music fans like the beginning and hate the ending, people who like more standart stuff like the ending and not the beginning so everyone ends up disliking this track :)
Oh well.......
next time i'll split my ideas to a few songs...
btw, i've decided to name this track "scenes" just because it's supposed to sound very different in some parts...

And i'm a guitar player first, a recording tech/whatever much later...

Thanks again for listening and responding!

Back