LET ME OUT - colab featuring Sammy Dixon(vocals)

BCF1

A track I had left-over from a previous project I called "Rings Of Saturn" which I sent to Sammy Dixon to check out.
A day or so later he sent me a few lyrical ideas he'd recorded.
I said "Oh Yeah"
A few days following he sent me the vocal tracks.
I did this mix, song now titled "Let Me Out"

Any mix tips ?

I tried to address some of the things suggested here, not sure if I was successful or what.
Here's mix 2 for comparison if interested..

Music - Me
Lyrics/Vocals - Sammy

Last edited:
I thought the guitars and bass sounded awesome.

Vocals sounded good. But they're just a little behind the guitars. I'd nudge the guitars down just a bit.

The snare is a little buried. I'd nudge it up. And I'd probably lower the overheads.

But that's about it from me. Tone on everything sounds pretty good. I'd just make some minor level adjustments.

I thought the guitars and bass sounded awesome.

Vocals sounded good. But they're just a little behind the guitars. I'd nudge the guitars down just a bit.

The snare is a little buried. I'd nudge it up. And I'd probably lower the overheads.

But that's about it from me. Tone on everything sounds pretty good. I'd just make some minor level adjustments.

TripleM - Thanks for the input. I was debating(with myself) regarding the guitars being a hair hot and had nudged them down a touch. Then I added a bit of master track compression before rendering, which I think may be a contributing factor to the overheads being a tad much as well.

Thanks again for having a listen and offering up your thoughts.

Going to give it a tweek or two now

+1 on that snare. It is pretty buried.

Bass sounds really nice.

The guitar solo could probably come up a touch.

I like the interplay between the vocals.

+1 on that snare. It is pretty buried.

Bass sounds really nice.

The guitar solo could probably come up a touch.

I like the interplay between the vocals.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts V.H.S !!
I didn't get the chance to tweek mix yet as previously stated. Did have the chance to listen with "new ears" and agree with things both you and TripleM have pointed out. I will be revisiting this track to tweek and fine tune as suggested then will update link.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS !!

I like the vocals on this, they're great. Those tom fills aren't doing it for me though, they're kind of distracting. Excellent drop to the chorus and nice cowbell! Good job

I like the vocals on this, they're great. Those tom fills aren't doing it for me though, they're kind of distracting. Excellent drop to the chorus and nice cowbell! Good job

Appreciate the input B.H.

IMO Sammy's lyrics nailed the vibe, provided a hook, his soulful vocals brought it all home. Cool guy with real talent. Thanks Sammy !
I added the fills in an attempt to carry interest as it seemed like a lull with just continuing the beat. At the moment I feel the fills are a positive addition but can certainly understand how folks could find them distracting. \m/ cowbells rock \m/

Thanks again for checkin it out !!

This has a nice groove and vibe. I was bouncing my leg as I was listening!

My suggestion:
1. The bass guitar could come up a bit and would elp if you could get it more grungy or distortion. it seems like the one driving the song.
1. The vocals could come up more. is getting buried under. Maybe some predelay

Thank you for posting

I'm no pro when it comes to mixing, so I'll let others cover that... I just want to say I dig the song! Nice groove (agree that guitars need to come down tho).

This has a nice groove and vibe. I was bouncing my leg as I was listening!

My suggestion:
1. The bass guitar could come up a bit and would elp if you could get it more grungy or distortion. it seems like the one driving the song.
1. The vocals could come up more. is getting buried under. Maybe some predelay

Thank you for posting

I'm no pro when it comes to mixing, so I'll let others cover that... I just want to say I dig the song! Nice groove (agree that guitars need to come down tho).

Thanks guys for listening and taking the time to comment. I tried to address some of the things suggested here, not sure if I was successful or what.
Here's mix 2 for comparison if interested..

Thanks again !!

Cool song! I reckon you are a lot closer with the second mix. Congrats for taking the comments above onboard. I'd still like to hear the whole song pushed forward a little ('in your face') and I reckon some rock distortion could help with that. Maybe some funky delays too. With the right mojo this song could be real knockout.

Cool song! I reckon you are a lot closer with the second mix. Congrats for taking the comments above onboard. I'd still like to hear the whole song pushed forward a little ('in your face') and I reckon some rock distortion could help with that. Maybe some funky delays too. With the right mojo this song could be real knockout.

Hey thanks for the positives and I think I'd like to hear what your talking about also. I don't have a whole lot of mixing experience and was thinking of uploading the tracks to appbox then making them available in a "Mix This" post. I don't know if there would be anyone interested but I guess it couldn't hurt to throw it out there.

Thanks Again for checking it out

It was my pleasure man. Too much of a 'fun' type song to not add vocals. I liked it as soon as you sent me the music, so melodies and lyrics weren't at all hard to come up with. Had just the right "feel."

Appreciate the input B.H.

IMO Sammy's lyrics nailed the vibe, provided a hook, his soulful vocals brought it all home. Cool guy with real talent. Thanks Sammy !
I added the fills in an attempt to carry interest as it seemed like a lull with just continuing the beat. At the moment I feel the fills are a positive addition but can certainly understand how folks could find them distracting. \m/ cowbells rock \m/

Thanks again for checkin it out !!

It was my pleasure man. Too much of a 'fun' type song to not add vocals. I liked it as soon as you sent me the music, so melodies and lyrics weren't at all hard to come up with. Had just the right "feel."

Hey it's the man himself !!

Thanks partner !! I thought you'd be a great fit and come up with something lyrically to take this track to a new level.. You certainly didn't disappoint !!

Thanks again for jumping in !!!! Lets do it again soon

Sounds good. The vocal is still a little low (straining to hear it over the other instruments). It's interesting that people like the bass tone. I fell in the opposite camp and felt it sounded too much like a guitar. It has that thin Greenday type bass sound. I'd get it fatter, but that's preference.

Back