Lay Lady Lay, the Dylan Tune

EL34

Clown car chauffeur
This tune has been running around my brain for 30 years, or however long it has been out.

The Nashville Skyline album is still one of my top favorite albums to this day.

I did an instrumental version of Lay Lady Lay so I could get it out of my brain for now.

Let me know if the levels are ok or if something is too loud or too soft.
This is mix #1
Lay Lady Lay - mix 1

The tone chain is
My 80's Strat
into my Hoffman AB763 2x10 combo
into the Palmer Speaker simulator
into the computer sound card.
Recorded with Mixcraft
Beatcraft for the drums

I like the surf sounding lead guitar. The drums are the only thing holding it back. I know canned drums may be all you have access to but may make it a little less busy. Less is more.
Also, you should've tried a vocal. God knows it couldn't have been any worse than Dylan. :D :D :D

Last edited:
My vocals sound like two cats fargin in a culvert. :o

I have more fun doing instrumental tunes.
Layering all those guitar parts is mighty fun and a real learning experience. :D

I did an instrumental version of "Wicked Game" a while back.
Cincy Kid heard it and we did a colab version that came out great.
That's about the only way vocals end up on my stuff.

Thanks for the listen guys.

EL34 said:
I did an instrumental version of "Wicked Game" a while back.

Thanks for the listen guys.

I Thought that was you, i couldnt find the link to it to check. Pretty recognisable. I loved what you did to that as well.

Sounds good man. I agree with Track Rat. You should take a shot at the vocal but it sounds good as is, imo. Cincy Kid did a hell of a job on the Chris Isaak vocals on Wicked Game. Kick ass reverb. Is it from the from the Hoffman?

Yes, it's mostly tube amp spring reverb on both tunes, but I do add reverb to the tracks also.

The cowbell sections seem kinda loud to me now.

Yeah the cowbell's a bit hot.. but the rest is so good you disregard it after a while.... :D

Love the whammy action you're getting on the lead melody line.

Cool surf sound coming through. Fits this tune well...

Especially like the backup guitars when they play that signature chord pattern in the background - that's perfect.

Some DY-NO-MITE playing Mr EL34 - enjoyed this a lot.....

:D :) :D :)

yes its gotta a kinda shadows lift to it and it would as other say fit well into a movie soundtrack its a nice we take on what was a good song in its day well done . everything sounds fine to my ears.

Thanks guys,

I'll probably drop the cowbell/blocks sections just a tad.

They sound fine up close on my monitors/headphones but I was in another room last night and they stand out way above everything else.

Then again, how many times do you listen to music from another room through a door? :D

Back