just joined the forum, here's a softpunky song...

madmush

Hi everybody!,

I've got a new rock track I'm trying to get people to listen to, you can have it here.

It's a 1-2-3-4 singalong with a great guitar lick!, even if I do say so myself.

Catch you later :)

-Mad Mush

Hey, welcome to bbs!

Good stuff here man. Its not my personal taste i gotta say, but i can definately hear this being played on the radio. I personally like the little suttle vocals you thrown in eg. "stupid little gimp'. Theres something about the vocals which im not sure about, i dont really know what it is, doesnt sound like its with the track for some reason.

overall, catchy song and i agree with your guitar riff. nice stuff.

thanks mate :)

i can't believe you pinpoint the vocals, because even though i've decided to go with them, the take wasn't as angry as earlier ones (have recorded the song a few times). The "local gymnasium" line in the beginning is a quote from Guy Stevens, a legendary producer who was trying to pep-talk Joe Strummer of The Clash as he was recording vocals for London Calling....

....and i was depressed when i was singing this, i felt like it was the end of the road and it'd be the last song i'd make.....

so thanks for stepping on a SORE foot :D

pretty cool that you picked up on that!

Tifstorey said:
Hey, welcome to bbs!

Good stuff here man. Its not my personal taste i gotta say, but i can definately hear this being played on the radio. I personally like the little suttle vocals you thrown in eg. "stupid little gimp'. Theres something about the vocals which im not sure about, i dont really know what it is, doesnt sound like its with the track for some reason.

overall, catchy song and i agree with your guitar riff. nice stuff.

madmush said:
Hi everybody!,

I've got a new rock track I'm trying to get people to listen to, you can have it here.

It's a 1-2-3-4 singalong with a great guitar lick!, even if I do say so myself.

Catch you later :)

-Mad Mush

Very well recorded song. All instruments seem to have a place, and sit well in it. Vocals are pretty out front, but this style of music generally does that. Vocals are clean. Very good recording there. And, nice voice. Fits the song well.
Ed

Actually a very cool tune. I like the energy alot. And what can you say about that guit lick??? Great stuff.

If I can nit pick, I would say that the "Farfisa" type organ sound is a little harsh on the ears and, in my opinion, isn't neccassary. It tends to crowd the mix and is a bit too 80's sounding. This to me is a 100% guitar song. I hope your keyboard player doesn't hate me, I'm not trying to get you to fire him...As long as the only reason you're keeping him around isn't because he's the one that owns the van.
The drums are cool, great snare sound, but I think it can use more of an open high hat as opposed to a tightly shut one for this type of tune.
Like, I said, I'm just nit picking. Overall, it's a great tune with great attitude.

i like the synth organ thing, maybe try and find a smoother organ sound.... but it makes it different to the standard palm muting, and it give the bass presence which is good

thanks everybody for taking the time to listen and comment :)
it's totally great to hear people say they like your stuff, i'm a sucker for that. Actually, it's probably the only reason i make music LOL

My line of reasoning with the organ was (i play everything myself and sing, so unless i sack myself.... :D ), i felt the way it's arranged on the chorus, it bumps it up a little, even if it's not easily perceptible (only really clear in the end when i'm not singing at the same time). The sound ended up a sharp alternative - absolutely - but i tried mountains of organs, and even some other instruments, but they couldn't cut through the guitar carpet without totally dominating the picture of the sound. And I wanted GUITARS! So in the end, i sat there deciding whether to keep it or not - weighing the cost of the sharpness against the melodic addition. So i see where you come from, rami, but i'm glad to hear you other guys weren't concerned with that!

and ed!, thanks man...... ;)

madmush said:
My line of reasoning with the organ was (i play everything myself and sing, so unless i sack myself.... :D ), i felt the way it's arranged on the chorus, it bumps it up a little, even if it's not easily perceptible (only really clear in the end when i'm not singing at the same time). The sound ended up a sharp alternative - absolutely - but i tried mountains of organs, and even some other instruments, but they couldn't cut through the guitar carpet without totally dominating the picture of the sound. And I wanted GUITARS! So in the end, i sat there deciding whether to keep it or not - weighing the cost of the sharpness against the melodic addition. So i see where you come from, rami, but i'm glad to hear you other guys weren't concerned with that!

Why don't you experiment with NOT having the organ in the in the intro and in the chorus - just leaving it in during the verse. It really isn't adding anything to the busier parts.

Another alternative would be to do a different part with the organ (rather than just sitting on chords) so it can stand differently than your guitars in the mix.

I was thinking that you would be better off with a B3 sound than that crappy farfisa sample, as well.

Just suggestions - I like the song.

Last edited:
kraley said:
Why don't you experiment with NOT having the organ in the in the intro and in the chorus - just leaving it in during the verse. It really isn't adding anything to the busier parts.

Good call!

Nice song, has a "feel good" to it.

thanks guys!!!,

shit, maybe i have to do something about that organ after all..... a warmer sound wouldn't cut through the guitars, but i'll give it another go. I'll put it up when/if i've solved it :cool:

Back