Jetta... Square One's rocky brother

jimmychalk

hey everyone, this is a new song recorded with Paul, Jonny, Nick, Trey and me.

http://www.jimmychalk.com (click on picture, then on "Second Mix of Jetta"

Recorded on roland 2480 and mixed in sonar 2... ask if you would like any more info on gear!

I'd love to hear y'all's comments so let me know what you think... ~jim

Last edited:
just so you know

most people in the mixing clinic aren't going to take the time to wade through your website/various links to get to a song you want us to hear. This is especially annoying to those of us still on regular dialup.

Post a direct link to the file and im sure you will get some listens.

Yet another quality recording. My only problem is when the drums come in, they drown the guitar which I expect to thicken at that point to put emphasis on the change, but I can basically only hear the vocals, drums and a tad of bass.

What other equipment did you use? EXACTLY :) I'd love to know, it sounds really great. Good work man.

sure thing wireneck... here ya go guys:

WELL on the equipment side, sr. canopus...
We recorded everything in trey's house in their theater (soundproofed... good room!) we ran a live snake (is that normal?) from that room to the roland 2480. All the overdubs went thru the manley voxbox, including vox, bass, acous.

Gear - Roland VS2480
Manley Voxbox
Shure KSM27s for vox, acous, long range mic on elec, and overheads
Drums: DW kit, d112 on the kick (?) toms/snare: 57
Elec: American Strat, 2nd position (n/m single coil pickup) into a mesa boogie road king head to a mesa 412 cab miced by a 57
Acous: Gibson (ahh don't remember the model)
Bass: Fender American J

Mixing: SONAR 2.2, waves plug-ins

Anyway to tell y'all about us, Paul ferrer (19), a freshman at A and M wrote this song, sang, and played acoustic. Jonny Hawkins (16) played drums and arranged the tune. He also plays for nothing more @ www.nothingmore.net . Nick Enriquez plays electric and we're gonna overdub some lead tracks from him later. Trey Dawson (18) owns most of the tracking gear and he did an amazing job engineering. I'm 16, and produced/mixed and played bass on this song. I hope ya like it and y'all please let me know what could be improved.

nice chorus.

like the drums but the mix sounds a little unbalanced. like the vocals are too loud. the vocal sounds very well recorded. maybe just too up front.

bass drum is a bit heavy but the snare isn't up front enough.

the guitars are completely buried.

sounds like you have very well recorded tracks just the mix sounds heavy in some spots and weak in others.

I'd agree with the previous comment. This has that "mixed on headphones" sound - the levels of everything are very off. But as was said, you've got a good solid performance here and everything sounds clear and well-recorded.

What's your monitoring system?

Chris

welll this is a very rough mix ( as you guys have quite thoroughly pointed out, and of course I thank you for it)

I'm monitoring on mackie hr824s... yah good speakers... not headphones... AHH knife in the heart right there

I'll be working on this more, keep sending yer thoughts!

On a very picky basis, the background vocals in the first chorus are out of tune towards the end (when it goes higher). The main vocals are good until late in the song where I suspect a few off-notes.

Excellent acoustic sound in the intro!

Vocals a bit strong for me when they come in. Actually, now that the drums are in as well, it may just be that the acoustic guitar is too soft. It's almost completely lost throughout the song.

This is a really nice song! Pretty good levels everywhere else. Nice and clean. Excellent drum sound. Good separation on everything. A little louder, fatter, crunchier dist guit would help in the parts where it shows up, IMO. Overall, all your guitars are too soft.

Man this song has some kick-ass potential, though. Fine tune it and sell it! Sweet.

Piltdown Man

Back