Intro to a song - somethings not right - N00B Mix :)

get2sammyb

Heya guys,

My band are planning on putting out a demo CD soonish (well when we get stuff recorded) and we wanted to have a nice little cool intro to one of our songs. Me being heavily influenced by electro (but our band not being very electro at all really) I did see the potential in one of our songs to have a bit of electro in the beginning of the song - and that's what I've tried to do.

I have a couple of questions though (aswell as a link to the mix I've done)... firstly - There is a lot of automation in this mix, and its pissing me off that when I want to change levels I obviously can't use the mixers because Cubase will read the automation. Is there a solution to this? Should I save automation until after I have all my levels?

Secondly - when the backward crash comes in - what can I do about the entrance of all the instruments being a bit smoother?

Basically just rip this apart guys - you are the experts and you know pretty much exactly how I can improve this. I quite like the elements of the mix - and I don't mind the way it sits at all reallly (although the levels seem a bit wrong). I just think (as with everything) a bit of advice could get it better. So - heres the link:

It's not a case of timing when the instruments come in - it just sounds odd to me - thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Sammy.

I think it's a bit long of an intro for a radio-type tune. However, it would work ok for deeper cut on the album. That aside, I have no advice for you on the mix as it sounds right to me and I mix all analog still. Especially tantlizing after the guitars come in....but then you cut it off.....

:) :D :) :D

Not really a radio type tune really... and the rest hasn't been recorded yet. The point where the guitars come in doesn't sound right for me really...

The crash entry is fine - it covers stuff but that's its point. It sound FINE.
Can't help with cubase - I use tape then mix in cakewalk.
Nice intro but the peak for guitars et to enter is still pretty mild.
Maybe have a reversed crash butted onto a forward crash so you get the build & break then normal resolution.
Sounds like it'd be a very psych track. Please post the results.

get2sammyb said:
Not really a radio type tune really... and the rest hasn't been recorded yet. The point where the guitars come in doesn't sound right for me really...

this will be the first....but i disagree with rayc.....IT DOESN'T sound right

the intro up untill the guitar is absolutly the shit!!!!!!!!....then it blasts into a guitar and i think(IMHO)is harsh.......take that down.........

Rayc....do you have any idea what i'm trying to relate? You have hit everything on the head when i have an opinion on anything it seems....so i was kinda hoping that you would know what i was tring to get across in a more pointed way?

turtlishous,
viva l'difference'.
When I say fine I'm referring to the intro build & rev crash.
The guitar sounds at that point I'm not fussed on. Having read/interpreted that nought had been done beyond the stop point I assume that the song proper entry will be redone & good guitars, sounds, drums, bass, cymbals will continue.
Now, turtlishous I assume "...the shit..." means good & that you're happy up until the gtrs stomp on the intro. Am I correct in thsi?

100% thats the interpitation that i'd hope you would give.....

once again ....thanx..

i'm starting to wonder why i even bother? you hit it everytime:)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help people - just what the doctor ordered.

I'm not at home at the moment but I'm gonna head home later and have a play with the levels of the guitars. I think the bass is a little off centre - that may be part of the problem.

I might EQ out some of the highs on the guitars to make them a little less bright and mix in the bass a little better.

Also there is a forward crash on there - however it seems a little light - maybe I could bring in another crash here or something to create the energy I am aiming for.

Either way - I will put up a new mixdown later and you guys can hopefully advise me further.

Sammy.

Right ok new mix:

I'm thinking of whacking some kind of bass synth underneath the first synth that comes in after the wind just to give the whole thing a bit more definition.

Thoughts on it now though - I'm starting to be really pleased with it.

Actually the intro has a KLF vibe to it. They did some great rock electronic hybridization in the 80's. Though you'd have to dance up the drums to get that vibe once the intro is dome.
Not a bad fix mate. Good work.

I'd love to give it more of a dancy vibe (and am planning on mixing the normally recorded kick with a dancey kick) - but other than that I dunno how much of a dancey vibe the band will let me have.

Not much I'm sure.

Oh well cheers for the feedback.

Back