indie/experiemental mp3s

Do us a favor and post your tunes on NWR. I don't care to sign up for mp3.com.........they want you to sign up everytime you want to listen to a tune. Thanks.

bd

Just type in a fake email address or something. That's all they want is to put you on a list or something. just type

ben@aol.com

it doesn't matter, that screen will come up every couple downloads you make.

I would appreciate any criticism you could offer.

Thanks,
Brandon

I've already registered to that POS mp3.com atrocity and it still wants all my info and it say's "all fields required".
Don'rt have time for that crap. I'm already registered, why can't I just sign in!:mad:

More people here will respond if you post your tunes on nowhere radio.

Hey man...welcome and stuff: I'm putting on the "radio ready?" ears, lol...since you seem serious. Take my "song" comments or leave them.

TRACK 3
@ :22, the harmonic is off. The first 1:45 could be trimmed off a LOT. Besides the drums coming in, nothing happens.

The vocals seem pretty buried.

Definitely some nice guitar tones...wish I could hear the singer. It's not just an "indie low" vocal...it's too low.

It's just my opinion, but I think you could basically cut this song in half and not lose a lot. I like the noise at the end.

TRACK 5 -
There's too much "BOOM" in the kick. Still have the same nice guitar tones. I know this isn't what you asked for, but I'd love some wailing distortion to come in at some point. Okay, I'm 1:45 in and nothing has changed, lol. 2:05, here comes a change...hrm, you kinda' went back to the beginning.

You probably already know that over 8 minutes is kinda' (read as WAAAAY TOO) long for radio, but I don't know what you're shooting for here. Okay, the bass tone starting @ 4:13 is really nice...and I like the reversing on the git parts. When the drums come back in, that kick is taking up WAY too much energy...it sounds like it's almost clipping.

Like I said, I'm just some anonymous nobody on a BBS, and these are just my thoughts. I think I'd have enjoyed this more if I was baked, lol.

Best to you,
Chris

chris,

thanks for the comments. You're welcome to say whatever, I won't get defensive about it. We all write our own music and have our own styles.

most of your comments seemed to be about the fact that you thought everything was too long. Might i add that i guess that's part of the style. This is the kind of stuff I listen to. Listen to a sigur ros record and if that kind of stuff is still boring, i guess it's a matter of personal styles.

The bass drum at the end of track 5 is pretty much the focus. The beat is supposed to come in like that. We wanted to feature the bass drum oddly enough (try something different). More so, just wanted to come in with alot of power and the bass drum helped that.

Thanks for listening.

~Brandon

frist44 said:

The bass drum at the end of track 5 is pretty much the focus.
That's fine, but how exactly are you monitoring? Some of my comments were "style" related, but this one was mix related. It's not just at the end, it's all the way through the song...sounds like somebody boosted the shit out of the kick drum @50Hz. I burnt it to disk and listened in the car about an hour ago, and it sounds wrong to me...again, just an opinion. Now that NWR appears to be down, maybe you'll get more listens.

Chris,

I'm monitoring with a pair of paradigm monitors. It didn't sound that bad to me when i was doing it. The texture of the bass drum compared to the others is alot different, as i used more room mics in the drum mix on that song. What did you hear in the car? I know it will punch the speakers pretty hard if there not very good at high volumes.

Maybe it's my mess up and i should have turned it down a bit and watched how much of the room mics i added.

Brandon

I'm listening to track 3
I love major 7th chords!!
The cymbals are really loud, but I can hardly hear the snare drum. That's a really long intro!! The vocals are really burried! I think I would like this tune, but everything else is covering up what I'd like to hear. The guitar is really loud. Sorry dude, this one I can't get into because of all the distractions.

Track 5..
There seems to be a sadness to your stuff, which is ok! Again, those cymbals are smacking me in the face, but I'm missing the snare. Very nice chord progression!! Good guitar tone as well. What are you using? Fender through a Fender? To be honest, my ears are starting to get burnt out on the sound.

I don't think your stuff is bad, so please don't take offense to my negative comments, just maybe a little mix tweaking.

I like it, like album leaf meets trail of dead meets oma yang when there's no vocals. it seems to be mixed pretty well, I agree about the vocals being burried on track 3, but they seem totally fine on track 6...the snare is burried, but I kind of like it that way, gives the guitars a lot of presence. I must be honest, I didn't enjoy track 3 as much as I did 5 and 6...but it's definatly good. I don't know how "experimental" it is...but I'll pick up a disc for sure...and at 4 bucks? how could I not?

Thanks everyone for the comments.

the vox on track 3 were buried intentionally. They are not at all the focus. Track 6 is much more the place where vox are featured more or less. I guess we sort of take a weird angle on things. I haven't heard about the cymbals too loud before, but could be just what i'm listening to it on.

It may not seem so experiemental because of the tracks we left out. The record as a whole comes across more like one long production. It was hard to pick songs to post for that reason. We tried to give a representation of everything on the cd, but maybe that didn't work. who knows. i will agree that there are certain time that i would prefer the snare to be louder.

All the guitars were tracked through home-made strats through old tube amps.

Brandon

frist44 said:
Just type in a fake email address or something. That's all they want is to put you on a list or something. just type

ben@aol.com

it doesn't matter, that screen will come up every couple downloads you make.

I would appreciate any criticism you could offer.

Thanks,
Brandon

You are REQUIRED to supply more information than just an e-mail addess dude.Even if I can fake info in to get to your song,it's still too much shit to be filling out just to listen to a tune.This is what is required just for me to listen to your tune.

Email Address:

First Name:

Last Name:

Choose One:

Zip/Postal Code:

Birth Date:

Language Preference:

the snare is got to come up, i don't know if the crash is too loud or not, but it does blur the mix.

if the vocal isn't the focus, maybe it shouldn't sit in the center.

Besides those, I think this is a pretty good recording.

AL

re: Track 3

Any song with actual vocals with words should have the vocals up front, anything less is frustrating to the listener.

I listened to track 3.

Pretty long intro (approx. 1:50). It mostly repeated a somewhat short section, so I'm not sure that it adds anything to the song to loop through it that many times. There was a section in the middle that ran a little long too. Just my thoughts.

It'd be my preference to bring the vocals up. If they're there, I think they should be heard. Otherwise they don't serve their purpose.

Got real nice guitar sounds. Bass is sounding real nice too. I like that.

Wow - that whine at about 5:00 kind of hurts when you're listening on headphones. Maybe back it off just a bit and it'd be ok. It's kind of interesting the way it builds, it just gets a little hot at the end.

My thoughts... Trip

Back