I suck

Meshuggah

This is straight from our rehearsal room..
All instruments were recorded simultaneously. We played just like at a normal rehearsal.

Kick: Beta91 (some compression from a Behringer MDX2000)
Snare: Beta57
Tom1: sm57
Tom2: Line Audio CM2
OHs: Mc012 hyper card

Bass: Rode NT1

Guitars: sm57

Preamp: Midas Venice 320

Vocals were recorded with the Beta57 about one feet away with a pop-screen.. after that, I used TC Necesesaries X-compressor and Antares Mic Modeller Beta57 -> AT4047SV

Preamp: Midas Venice 320

All EQ is Cool Edit channel EQ, all verbs are Spin Audio Room Verb. The Dealy on lead guitar is Waves 2-tap.

The is HERE!

Meshuggah,

You might suck but, the song sounds really good!

Too bad I don't understand Klingon!:confused: Or was that Swedish? Either way, it sounded really Kool!

No real mix complaints either.

I liked the ending too.

Cheers! :)

You da MAN for taking the time to post those pics!

Clinic Phreaks take Note! A word to the rest for future reference.

Enquiring homereccers want to KNOW!

I'll be back after I have a listen.

And don't hand me that shit about how you suck. You rock!

Cool tune. Drums kinda lose it a bit at 00:42, but other then that great stuff, really dig the drum sound to, especially the kick.

The lead guitar melody stuff is a bit drenched in delay at points, but whatever you like.

I couldn't understand the words, but they were audible.

Nice stuff!

What is that? Thats weird? Congratulations on being creative as hell. I heard punk, metal, indian, island, ska all in one song. Do you think that the solo guitar is too quite? Sounds like it.

Doc: yeah.. I know *I* wish I could see 'these' pics with every posted mp3 :]
Hopefully, I've started a trend....

Emeric: F-off! :) :D (hugz and kisses)

tjohnson: the 'solo'.. well.. after a lot of thinking, I decided it's better of being a bit on the low side.. I might be wrong tho...

Outlaws: That Peavey amp is THE shit.. I can't believe how good that mofo sounds...

Oh man, this is cool! And nice recording too. Sounds like something Mr. Bungle might do, which is cool with me.

I gave it a couple spins and I don't know if you're looking for mix comments, but I think I'd actually pull that snare back a bit. I think it draws too much attention to itself. I think everything else works pretty damn good. I hope you post some more of those rehearsals. I'm a bit starved for experimental stuff like that.

Tom

Oh btw.. here's the portable rig I used...

http://hem.tyfon.net/wa0043/images/2.jpg

and the lyrics translated (best I can)

How many times have you lied?
Arbatach (14 in arabic)
How many times have you deceived?
Arbatach
How many souls have you slain?
Arbatach
How many bodies have you wrecked?
Hah!

Now, I walk home alone again
Again, again, again, again
Like the guy in 'Cast Away'
But without the happy ending
A lonely coooooooooooop

ok.. lyrics aren't ment to make sense... :)

Last edited:
As per request of cjacek.

RECORDING:
Mics mentioned earlier.
Console used: Midas Venice 320
Behringer Composer MDX2000 (kick only)
Tannoy Reveal Active Monitors
Alesis HD24 Multitracker

MIXING:
Software: Cool Edit 2.0
Plugins:
- Cool Edit Channel EQ
- Spin Audio Roomverb
- Waves L2 (limiter)
- TC X (compessor)
- Waves 2-tap stereo delay
- Waves RenEQ 6-band mono
- Antares Mic Modeller

M4sTer1nG
PSP Vintage Warmer

Meshuggah said:
Well thanks for listening SLuiCe! Glad you liked it. As for the snare, well I'll have to see what I think after a few days when my ears are fresh, but thanks for the comments.

No problem, man. Nice job.

:)

That guitar around 0.50 gets a bit lost. Nice mix of wet and dry sounds, I think. I like the bass sound - nice for an NT1. I love those b vocals - I think they add more to the song than the mideast flavor on the guitar even.

Good tune. I like stuff that has no category to put it in. LOL

The playing is great. I liked your kick drum tone too, but the snare was a bit weak in my humble opinion. With the name "Meshuggah" I though I'd be hearing some death metal :(.

Sluice: Thanks for the nice comments... The snare... well. I'm a snare guy, but thanks for the input. I'll look into it when my ears are fresh.. ;)
More songs will come. I'm in the final stages of mixing (9 songs 22.5 minutes total), tho I gotta say this song stands out a bit.

dobro: The NT1 is what I reach for first when recording bass. Especially for this 'clonky' sound.. Glad you like the B-vox, one of them is me :)

FattMusiek: Snare weak as in 'too low' or 'lack of punch'? Our drummer is a real soft-beater. That might have something to do with it..

meshugga

what genre would you put your band in? This is some weird but cool stuff. I don't really have any mix comments since im not on monitors.
What language is the singer singing?
Haven't we already seen those pics you posted in another thread a while back?

This song sticks out quite a bit from the rest. I'd put us in punk genre... a very 'swedish' kind uf punk.
Lyrics are in swedish except 'arbatach' that's arabic.

I posted the pics the Studio Building and Display forum some weeks ago.. I've just been really slow mixing this..

this genre of music is not my fortay so I will just comment on the recording.
I think the recording is great and the mix is good. I love the guitar sound...very rich and it just rocks.

I agree that the snare is lacking, not in volume, but in the tone...its sound doesn't fit the rest of the song

I think the vocals are right...I can't understand the words but the feel is there.
good job IMHO

Nice recording man. Very good for a live band recording. The mix seems very appropriate for the genre. Other than minor stuff here and there (based on personal taste) I can't say I'd change much.

WATYF

Back