I closed the "Willis" thread, remix comments here

Khompewtur

*Retired*
Thank you jake, mutt, crawdad, sabbath, and mmm for your help with this one, I found your suggestions and feedback extremely helpful and was able to make concrete changes. It seems like I had some serious technical fuck-ups to deal with so i tried to address what I could.

bass- went back and retracked about a third of it. Anwhere in which I had a signal looking like ---+=+-=||||||||||||||-=-===+ was retracked.

vox - i retracked the main vox and left them dry. The original tracks with the heavy verb were blended into the background. At first i was bummed because things never turn out as good for me when I don't do them fresh, but in this case I was happy/

guit and drums I left pretty much alone. Id like to find a better way to develop percussion but this is what i have to work with for now.

Same thing. This time it's the whole mix that's croaking and distorting.

There is something very wrong here....

I think you are recording waaay too hot but theat would surley be noticed on your end?

I don't know...it gets a bit better in the middle but not much. Sounds like a decent song under all that hash....sorry.

What the heck are you doing? How does this sound on your system/ Anyone else hearing this?

EDIT: I can turn this down from my soundcards stereo out and control some of the problem but it still sounds recorded way too hot.

Last edited:
Hey jake, what are you monitoring on? You seem to pretty consistantly hear distortion that I don't, so I'm wondering if there might be some issue with your monitors. Either that or you have much *better* monitors than I do, maybe...

The mids area sounds pretty mushy on this one. Not very distinct, and the stereo image is pretty one-dimensional. But very cool performance underneath the mush.

Chris

I am listening throug an EMU and some little Roland micro monitors.

I did have the soundcard out cranked but that's never enen a problem with commercially mastered music CDs. I never get this problem with other people's music but when I turned the stereo out down it helped a little bit. It may be some weird cross issue with...I don't have a clue, but Khompewtur's other stuff didn't sound this maxxed to death sound to it.

Well a few things. First off, I'm using this clinic for what I think it's intended to do. I'm experimenting and trying to learn and hone my production technique. This may often end up in a step in the wrong direction or have me presenting something odd sounding, but I NEED and APPRECIATE the cultivated ears around here. God bless u peeps. When i'm done getting schooled here then I may or may not go to my friends and family and go "Hey listen to what I made!" When they don't puke I thank my guardian bbs.

A few mixing things:

- This was one of my more conservatively done in terms of levels so I don't think the recording was too hot. On playback it didn't red-light once (something I've allowed on occassion in the past. I used to think this was an absolute, but have since discovered otherwise), HOWEVER, in the never ending attempt to learn how to squeeze more juice out of a mix I took a stereo version .wav of the mix and then passed THAT through a compressor, and then converted the compressed version of the mix into the mp3. I'm getting more gain but I'm sacrificing dynamics here. Maybe in this case it's a bit much.

- I've gradually shifted away from mimicing bass with a guitar to using real bass and lately i've tried to increase the bass's prominence in the mixes. This one has a slight overdrive applied to it, but I don't think it was recorded too hot. It should vibrate a bit when the lower notes are hit. I can easily see how if it's overdone it could come off like buzzing. I dunno i'm monitoring on Event20's and the mp3 actually sends a breeze from the speaker's cone into my face, something that wasn't happening before but feels and sounds pretty cool to me.

- My trial of the Cakewalk mp3 encoder ran out and I switched to the RealPlayer encoder, but I monitored the mp3's I've made with RealPlayer and I haven't noticed any difference. Maybe it's degrading somewhat and I'm not noticing?

- Lastly in terms of stereo field. I may have a bit of trouble thinking non-symetrically. not sure how to get around this yet.

Khompewtur said:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I need a "retarded" smiley.

:o "duh daaaaaaaaah ddeeeer duuuuh ddaaaaaaah yaaaaah im amaaaaaakin muuuuuuuuusic teeeeh eeeee i like cake"

Only Good

It's about 6:00 in the morning (I'm 'at work' right now ;) ) and I just spilt all of my coffee over my pants thanks to this post.

Khompewtur, I'm glad you made your entry to this board. You're a very funny man...

Aha! Maybe it's the realplayer conversion in my Xing player?
I'm sure the compression is part of it but I wonder if that could be worsening the effect for me?

Get a better free encoder.
I ain't loading real crap.

Back