HR member cover: Emeric's Holiday (for real this time)

fresh/David: Thanks, man. Hey you're one of the /real/ elders around here, a 99'er! My recordings have improved a lot since I started coming around here, listening, and asking questions about what other people have done in their recordings.

Emeric: Thanks for the (indirect) inspiration to get off my ass and actually record something without making excuses for once :). Backing off the main voc 'verb is easy enough with the way I have it bussed out in vegas, I've added that to the list. I also agree about moving the "ooohs" in the beginning back to where they originally were... I listened to an earlier mix and I agree, I like the transition better that way. Bagpipes... well, I just had to.

Khomp: I did the cover version, emeric did the original. I was listening to some old tunes I have sitting on the hard-drive a while back and decided I wanted to try a version of this tune. Not sure of the vocal influences on the ending harmonies. I've heard Yes, Queen, CSN, and Beach Boys mentioned now. I'd say Rundgren was a factor for sure, but I'm flattered by any of those comparisons. It seems weird to say in this thread, but vocs really aren't my forte. I've always been very very self-conscious about my singing. Thanks for checking it out.

Chad: "razor hits nuts..." Heheheh! Man, if only I could have worked in a sample of that somehow. I did lift a pretty obvious sample from an HR collab... no one has mentioned it yet. Totally appreciate the kind words. This was a lot of fun to do, it made me approach things totally differently than I normally do.

Emeric plays guitar better than you do. It doesn't slow you down though, cuz your arranging skills and above all, those *voices* have a way of bringing out the lyrics - your skill is in drawing attention to meanings that were residing in the lyrics all along.

It's a fuck of a skill, pg. Find ways to keep using it.

Does it only kick in when you're inspired by the song?

You've put together a beautiful piece of music here. You know, this song means more to me now than before. It's a fuck of a skill. Forget the praise, and find ways to keep putting that skill to use.

What a cool song, I missed the original when it was first posted.

This is a very original remake, a true "remake"

I won't comment on the vocals because they are absolutely fantastic and most people have already touched on it already.

Beautiful :)

Holy shit, PG. This kicks ass. I really enjoyed seeing this come to fruition. I was really looking forward to hearing a finished version after you nickle and dimed me a few time when you first started it. thanks for sharing! All of the cubicle dwellers around me think it's killer, too. They're probably sick of it because I've been listening to it for about an hour straight, but screw 'em.

I still think your lo-fi version kicked more ass though. :)

dobie: Thank you. Sometimes it doesn't even kick-in when I'm inspired :D. To be honest I enjoyed the process more than the result here, but I've had to listen to it sooooo many times.

lynx: I definitely try to get the essence of the tune without making a carbon copy if I'm gonna do a remake. I've always believed that a good tune can live a million different lives. Getting vocal compliments from guys like you who can really sing means a lot to me. Thanks for giving it a listen.

JR: Thanks for enduring several crappy early sketches! The better version is still up at http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1908&alid=-1 :)

Wow. That is fantastic. It's a great song, and I love what you've done with it. Light and shade in spades.

You have a beautiful voice, and a great ear for arrangement.

I agree that the main vocal could live with a tiny bit less reverb. The "And you understand" bit - a cool trick is to only sing the "d" at the end of "understand" on one vocal, and just sing "understan" on the others, which hides the slight timing differences that you can just hear with the "d"s at the moment.

But this is really reaching - your track is a masterclass in vocal harmonies and arrangement. :)

I love the BVs at the beginning that sit way back, then slide forward to introduce the main vocal - very clever.

Beach Boys, Queen, pglewis - just amazing. I really enjoyed this track.

Do you have any more stuff I can listen to?

Cheers

AB

Man, that is an amazing mix and arrangement. That was crazy...in a good way.

I really don't have anything to critique and all the praise has been covered.

Excellent work! I will look out for your next for sure.

Wow-Great production-voice layering is extremely good-nice acoustic and electric guitar tones too. The arrangement is really unique and cool-constant new sounds and spaces to really make this a journey rather than just a typical listen. Really fantastic-in my top ten bestest songs I've heard here. :) Keep up the good work-post more songs!!

alibish: It's official, main voc reverb is slated to be cut back a bit. Great advice on cutting off the ending plosives on the backing tracks... I probably wouldn't have thought of that, gonna tuck that trick under the belt for sure. Actually, the vocs weren't intended to be naked like that on the ending. I just ran out of ideas to be honest. I'm still toying with the idea of putting something subtle over the vocs on the ending. I don't have anything else like this or even with vocs online. There's a couple of old, short, guitar show-offy sketches on nowhere under the name "Jackson 'n' Jackson", but it's nothing like this. Musical identity crisis. Thanks for all the encouragement.

skids: Thanks for taking some time out and listening, man.

Stratomaster: It was just as much a journey for me 'cause I only had the vaguest idea where the next 30 seconds was going to go at any point. Current focus is on the collaboration with ashulman in the HRC. I'm excited to be involved in this, it's going to be a blast.

Yup, this IS great.
I love the Beach Boys and I love reverb so no complaints here.

I love the beginning where you go from wet to dry on the 'verb.
I gotta figure a way to do that with what I have. Maybe in Acid 4.0

great vocal tones.. I was getting ready to type about timing issues when I realized it was the original emeric version I had spinning first.. lots of production stuff on your version.. cool.. love the vocal layers.. good song..

DimChandeliers: I took the easy route: Used an all dry track and an all wet track and cross-faded.

christiaan: Thanks a million

smellyfuzz: I don't understand the question... try right clicking and choose "Save target as..." :confused:

sammy: Thanks for checking it out... coulda used some ebow in there!

This is really great.

I was reading the replies, and was a little confused, b/c it seemed heavy in the low mids to me...

I was listening to emeric's version too. :D - His isn't "bad" by any means, but when I kept seeing "best recording in the history of the world," I kept checking the connections on my amp.

Yours is fucking brilliant.

Thanks for the listen chris. I wasn't gonna bump this any more, but I really wanna get flamed by the amazing critic.

Back