Hey guys help me out with this mix!

NYCDrums

I must have heard this song 1000000 times today lol. Goin back in tomorrow night to give it a final mix, any suggestions would be great! Sound cloud link is below pics. Rip this thing up guys
Some background:
Gretsch Catalina drumkit, 421s on tom, audix d6 in kick, clip on shure mic on the snare, 2 baby blues for overheads, a samson cl 7 under the ride and a shure 81 on hats.

Bass sans amp direct

Guitar: Engel powerball, with a marshall cab miced with a 421

Vocals; Baby Blue
JoeyQNC

JoeyQNC

soundasylumny - Ruthless Dudes- The Reason on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Not bad. The kick is annoying as hell as it always with this kind of music. It sounds too scooped in the low mids. Scooping low mids is usually good for kicks, but get too close/much near the sweet lows, and you get this hollow plasticky sound. The snare and toms can come up. The bass drops are too noticeable. Make them more subtle. Guitars sound good, and the vocals are good for the style. The gang vocals near the end were the best part. They saved a bad song. :D

Nice Recording,

You might pull the guitars down a bit to give the dums and vocals a little more room. Overall pretty kickin, tight performance.

Guitars sound very nice. Good job there. I agree that the kick is annoying though. I don't know if it's the EQ job so much as it just sounds completely lifeless - like someone is slapping a the side of a plastic trash bin with a dead fish.

Maybe consider blending another sample in with the kick track? Also, do a sweep with a parametric EQ to find the where the attack of the beater hitting the head is, and put a HIGH SHELF (not a just a boost) there. Also adding a small (1 - 2 db) low-shelf starting at about 125, and scooping out some of the boxy low mids (300 - 600 hz) helps a little.

The snare reverb is getting on my nerves a little bit. Mainly because no other instrument in your mix sounds like it has any verb on it. I hear a tad of slap plate verb on the vocals, although that could be room noise, I can't really tell. If the snare is the only instrument that has reverb on it, and nothing else does, it just pulls the listener out of the sonic space because it's a massive inconsistency. It's like "Ohh, This snare drum has this fat reverb tail, it's like they are playing in a warehouse somewhere, but then everything else is dry and in your face, and it ruins the sense of space that the listener puts themselves into.

Also, if you are going to keep the reverb there, increase it's diffusion a little bit. The reverb is super center panned, making it sound even more unnatural and apart from the rest of the mix.

On the plus, your overheads sound awesome.

Back