hey drstawl, mp3/Vegas question

dmcsilva

drstawl:

I've noticed in several posts that you too are using Vegas Pro; so I gotta question for ya. Have you noticed an incredible difference in quality between mp3's ripped straight from Vegas and those ripped after converting .wav file mixdowns from Vegas by BladeEnc or MusicMatch. Actually I can disqualify MusicMatch from this question because I haven't registered it yet-still ripping at 96k.

It seems that mp3's converted bt Vegas are extremely close in quality to the source file(s), while those converted by BladeEnc sound like dog crap smells. I also hear some undesireable artifacts such as the boosting of high pitched frequencies (shrill enough to make Flipper squint) and what seems to be
flanging and possible pitch shifting occurring in rippped files.

Have you experienced this?
Does Vegas convert mp3's at a higher rate -160kbps? 320kbps?
Did I get a hold of some bad crack and it's all in my head?

BTW, thanks for checking out my previous mp3, a fresh opinion is welcomed after listening to the same freakin' song 50 times in a row.

dmc

I'm not clear on the processes you're comparing. Both Sound Forge XP and Vegas
have .mp3 encoders built in, although I'm not sure what came with what. You can encode at 160 and 320Kbps as well as 128, 96, 64 etc..
I have noticed that any SW processing must be done in .wav format to avoid some really strange results. This despite the fact that the SW won't complain about this. Well- I hate those idiot screens telling me about dire consequences that I've already accepted.
If an .mp3 file needs more work, reload the original .wav and start again.

I'm wondering about the difference between using the Vegas mp3 encoder versus mixing down to a .wav file and then using an encoder such as BladeEnc or MusicMatch to convert the .wav to mp3. It seems to me that there are extreme differences in sound quality (vegas encoded files sound much better) between Vegas' encoder and others.

Has anyone out there used BladeEnc to encode mp3's with good results?

I had the same results with BladeEnc, and it really pissed me off. I particularly hated the high pitched artifacts. But, hey, you get what you pay for, and since it's free....

Now I use the mp3 encoder in Cakewalk, which actually lets you mixdown to mp3. The quality is much MUCH better. I think it's the encoding process that makes the difference, because at the same bit rate Cakewalk (which uses the Fraufenhofferusenshoffer something or another process) creates much better mp3s than BladeEnc.

Ryan

Well, all I can say is that I haven't seen any .mp3 encoders that do a better job than Vegas Pro, but no, I haven't heard a real difference in other encoders when compared at the same bit-rate. Why would you want to start up another program anyway if Vegas Pro has it handled? I have noticed that Vegas Pro
does the conversion much faster than Sound Forge XP. I'm wondering if this is really the same encoder with a delay loop built in to piss you off just enough to want to buy the full version. Excuse my paranoid nature.

I had some .wav files that were mixdowns from Vegas that I lost the Vegas source files for after deleting some unecessary, and obviously necessary, files from my hard drive. I wanted to convert these to mp3.

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 11-24-1999).]

If you've got the .wav files, you don't need the .veg files. Just open a new project and drag the .wav file(s) in from the explorer window. Then mix to new track and select .mp3 as the file type.

Yeh, but the thing is, I deleted the original track .wav files as well. I guess I could just drag and drop the mixdown .wav to vegas and then convert to mp3. I do appreciate your feedback however. As I get deeper into Vegas, I am amazed by the simplicity with which everything is presented and how easy it is to manipulate.

dmc

Back