Here's a tune...

Great!

Great! You're a good musician!

I only listen to rap but I gave a try to your song and found it very interesting! The production is simple but the feeling is there and you did a good job with the mixing... (IMHO)

Only comment: The vocals were not at the same volume everywhere in the song... You should make the vocals sound louder at some places in the song... Also, the "Funky Guitar" should be a bit lower...

Great job!

Beathoven

Beathoven -

Thanks for taking the time for a listen, and to comment. Thanks also for the compliments!

I agree about the levels. In fact I was just looking at the .wav file and it appears one channel got compressed more than the other!! I have never looked at a .wav file before, but I have a copy of Wavelab Lite that I got when I bought Cubasis VST, and I'm not happy with what I'm seeing. I've never worked with this before, but I'm going through the tutorial...maybe I can fix this in Wavelab Lite, and sprinkle some love on it, then re-burn! Wish me luck!

Thanks again,

Danny :cool:

I never used Wavelab but if I have an advice to give you:

Try CoolEdit Pro

I use this program to edit my waves and damn, it's so simple and works so well!!!

Beathoven

since you like hip-hop

check these hip-hop tracks out. i'm not a rapper (aspiring song-writer/producer), but i figure that its easier for people to vibe on the tracks with the vocals, so i did them myself.

major equipment used:
sounds: roland xv-3080
percussion: ensoniq asr-x pro
vocals: audio technica 4033 mic
fx: waves, dsp-fx, ultrafunk
recorder: cakewalk's sonar

http://www.crosstudio.net/audio.html

Hey Mojo,

A bold cover indeed.
Overall I must say, nice job.

It loses the low end due, in part, to some shifty bass and I'd like to hear a more pronounced kick drum to hold things together.
The backing vox were cool yet, would be more powerful with a triplet or two.
The lead git was a tad hot in the mix and sometimes overbearing.

Like I eluded to, this is a hard song to cover and I'd say you're on your way to doing a fine job on it.

Just my silly thoughts.

Theron.

Hey Beathoven,

I've heard good things about Cool Edit Pro, and I like their website. I will probably highly consider them when I'm ready for some new software.

Theron,

Thanks for taking the time, and for your comments. The low end - there actually was no bass per se, it was all just the acoustic peice which had basic bass parts. A real bass probabaly would have spruced it up, along with a better kick like you say, as well as a light key maybe (maybe an organ or light piano - what do you think)? The guitar levels...yes, you're absolutely right...arghhh!! Thought I had it controlled.

Thanks again!!

Danny :cool:

Well, that explains the bass.
As far as organ ect... My take on doing covers it to get the song as close to the original as possible or doing something real creative with it. Take it in a different direction than the original. Either way, go full force. In short, have a reason to cover the song. Of course this thin theory is in concideration of public performances.

Hope that helps
Theron.

Back