Help Yourself - Love song needs critique, please

Wow, 71 views and no replies. It makes me think that there is something seriously wrong with this song, but I can't figure out what it is. It's a fun song to play on guitar, but the rhythm is a little chopped up. I think that's what I like about it.

Bumpity Bump - the song is in a slump!

Last edited:
Help Yourself

Just gave it a listen. Not really my cup of tea but the recording sounds pretty good. Girlfriend commented that it could be a soundtrack song for a medieval love story. Balance of the instruments sounds ok if not a little busy, you got a lot going on in this song and you pull it off quite well. Vocals cut through the mix good and the instrument definition is outstanding.

Keep on posting, you have a real talent.

Rick

www.soundclick.com/mothersbadson

Just gave it a listen. Not really my cup of tea but the recording sounds pretty good. Girlfriend commented that it could be a soundtrack song for a medieval love story. Balance of the instruments sounds ok if not a little busy, you got a lot going on in this song and you pull it off quite well. Vocals cut through the mix good and the instrument definition is outstanding.

Keep on posting, you have a real talent.

Rick

www.soundclick.com/mothersbadson

Thanks very much, Rick. I'm very glad you like the tune. My wife likes it so I posted it as is, but I think the tuba is a little overbearing at times. But then again, Taj Mahal's tuba bass lines were really out front. I think that's what I was shooting for. Thanks for the feedback.:)

Dear Mr. Anderson (disguised), why do you keep on squishing poor drums there behind everything else? I like the mix, save for this detail...
I think the foundation of a "Drumkit Salvation Army" is in order, at this point ! :p

Dear Mr. Anderson (disguised), why do you keep on squishing poor drums there behind everything else? I like the mix, save for this detail...
I think the foundation of a "Drumkit Salvation Army" is in order, at this point ! :p

Man, I sure could use one. I was thinking of buying EZ Drummer. Right now I use Session Drummer 2, which I find lacking and limited, but I also have some patterns in a 2488 by TASCAM. I might go back to that.

Remix it

Honestly, the mix is kind of a mess. Vocal & geetar are a tad too up front and makes an already unbalanced mix even more so. Uh, I take it you like Ian Anderson? If that IS the case, listen to the mix on Thick As A Brick. Well balanced, song is logically structured, and appropriate solos included...oh yeah, and the lyric is wacky enough to be interesting.

I like the song and the mix. A little confusing at times, but that's just how the song is.

What mic, pre and post (reverb, compression etc.) did you use for the vocals? I like the sound.

I think I've said it before about a track of yours - dump the drums! Pull out a bohdran and tambourine & have it with them.
I was a little taken aback with the piano line when it jumped out so that should either be worked on to make it really jump & grab attention or mellow it back.
I think the tuba notes shoould be truncated to be more percussive or swapped for a bass that carries the note.
I think the song is lovely.

Vocal & geetar are a tad too up front

I actually felt that vocals were pushed way too far behind. To be honest, they don't fit in the mix (not because of the voice though) - they sound too "live", as if someone recorded them over an intrumental with a cheap mike.

I, however, loved the song on it's own. I agree with 'rain' on the medieval comment - I felt like watching The Hobbit after listening to it. Great job on the songwriting. Like others said you can re-mix it to make it sound better.

I don't think the mix is that bad. I think the vox are a little too dry and up front. Get rid of the drums in this one. They're a distraction. The piano is way too up front. It comes in and plows all over everything and then sucks the energy right out once it's done. Overall not bad though.

Back