Have trouble with VST drums

mellotron

My problem with it currently is getting the vocals right (I could be louder one place especially) and give the drums more kick and presence, which I can't figure out at the moment, which I would probably have an idea of doing if I knew how to EQ each drum separately.

I'm using the Compressor in LM-7 for Cubase LE. Am I not supposed to compress it more? I used Blockfish to compress the drums even more. I probably stifled it too much.

Also, can I EQ each drum alone? I just click on Mixer, then click on LM-7, but have yet to figure out how to edit each drum separately. I used 4Front for piano, but don't know how to EQ it to make it sound more natural, though it being free, I can't expect much realism, and I'm not even sure I should aim for that not having a fully weighted MIDI controller.

I'm also not sure if my voice clips from singing too softly then trying to bring up the volume to make up for it.

I also recorded in an untreated room and am not sure of my Reverb B settings, so don't know if this will sound muddy on monitors with flat response.

Any help greatly appreciated!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6406360

I think changing closed hihat sample for more natural sounding and introducing some dynamic variation to hihat would do the trick for presence and kick could be simply louder in the mix and maybe more consistent with rythmic pattern of left hand piano part since bass is nonexistent (but I guess thats the concept). Also maybe intro would do without drums at all?

Just Blockfish should be enough - but what setting arre you using? You could also use the AIR setting in BF to help out.

Back