Hardcore tune I'm working on.

Bottom end seems a bit cluttered. Is the bass fighting for space with the kick? I think you need to tighten them both up, and seperate them a bit. It is making the low end muddy. Give the kick some snap, and reduce the lower end on the bass some. Also, if you can give the vox a bit more depth. They seem thin. I think if you can add a bit of low-mids to them, they will sit better. Most of the basics are there, just a bit cluttered.

I like the way the snare sticks out. Maybe bring the guitars up some, to fit within the snare sound some. (about that volume).

I think it just needs some tweaks man. Not real hot on that vocal style, but it can work.
Good luck.
Ed

Sorry can't take the vox. Just too much for my personal taste. But the guitar playing rocks man. :)

From as much as I heard in the beginning, I agree with Dogman that the bass and the kick kind of step on each others toes.

Considering you don't care for the tune, you're doing a pretty good job with it...I especially like what you're doing with the drums and the main guitar. Sorry can't give much help on the mix.... :D :D :D

Thanks for the input.
I'm going to work on the kick and bass after work. Also I need to do something with the guitar at 0:55 it just sounds to weak or too thin.

timboZ said:
Thanks for the input.
I'm going to work on the kick and bass after work. Also I need to do something with the guitar at 0:55 it just sounds to weak or too thin.

I thought the guitar @ 0:55 sounded kinda kool...like it was way back in the mix..but just about right? Just my opinion though. :cool: Like the guitar tones, mind sharing how you recorded the guitars? Heavy toon dude!

OK, I used to be a big metalcore fan, so here's what I think about the recording. I just figured since so few people on this board are into this style of music, my opinion might be of some worth.

It sounds like you have two guitar tracks, but give them about a 60 pan either way to spread them out. Also, I think you need to turn down the lows on the guitar and add a bit more of your mids. The other guitar that you hear faintly in the background often, could be turned up to hear the disonances played. For that part before the minute mark especially, it'd be nice to hear more, so turn it up, and if you want a neat effect, put on substantial high pass filter to allow the song to slam back in.

Drums sound pretty good, but I can barely hear the kick drum. Try and get some snap back into it.

I can't really define the bass, so it's hard to say what it needs.

I like the layered vocals. When synced and mixed properly, it gives an almost unhuman sound.

Other than that, this song is pretty awesome. Good squeals and writing, that's for sure. Sounds like you have decent instruments to work with as well, which is always my downfall.

I'd LOVE to have a go at mixing this, if you don't mind. It's up to you, really.

love the instruments but not my preference for singing, i dont mind the higher screaming but i have always had trouble with the lower sorta roar stuff.

tbone36109 said:
love the instruments but not my preference for singing, .
the vocals are the thing that turn me off with this tune.

freshears said:
mind sharing how you recorded the guitars? Heavy toon dude!

To record the guitars I used a beta 57 or a Sennheiser E609.
One setup was a Line6 head with a crate 4x12 cab and the other was a fender tube (dont know the model number) head and a fender 4/12 cab.

Doggie was right on about the fighting the upper bass/lower mids.

I the bass also goes from too much, to not there later in the song at spots.

have fun

chadsxe said:
The band needs to pratice more.

I don't think it's the band. I think it's my lack of skills at tracking and mixing.

This is the first full band that I have recorded. I have learned a lot over the last few weeks. Of corse its a basically a freebie. It's for my out of work nephew that has been living at my house sence November.

Back