guitar tone on this megadeth cover

MegaGoo

this is a cover of megadeth's 99 ways to die i did a few months ago. im always trying to better my guitar tone and so i've been trolling the bb here for a few days for advice to keep in mind on my next recording, but i wanted a general impression for how its going to sound. ive changed the patches some and possibly will be changing drums since i recorded this.

the guitar tone is from a line6 vetta. to keep it simple, the vetta its like 2 pod xt's being that it emulates two amps at once. it does a lot more but that part is important because it allows me to have two tracks of the exact same take that i can used different amps on... i played through it and had one amp panned left to track 1, and the second amp panned right to track 2, then played a second take and reversed the panning on the amps. .. the bass guitar is midi and the drums are samples from from drumkit from hell

but im mainly looking on comments for the guitar tone. i think real bass guitar would have made this a more complete mix and is taking away from the overall quality.

thanks
eddie

The sinlge notes sound smooth which I really long for in a distorted guitar sound. But the strummed chords sound pretty processed. By that I mean I can hear it sounds like it didnt come from an amp.

I have never managed to get a good dist giutar tone yet. :(
The kinda system of a down sounding clean guitar sounds lovely.
What did you use for that?

Eck

thanks for the reply. im not sure which clean part you are talking about. theres 2 acoustic "leads" in the pre choruses, and behind that there are some acoustic arpeggios. that is just a (poorly) mic'd acoustic guitar. wish i had an acoustic/electric

one thing i have tried in the past to get rid of digital harshness in the background is use a plug that gets rid of noise. it unfortunatly kills the high end cut. maybe i need to eq it back in more effectively.

i actually just posted about this here: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=2147703#post2147703

check out
.. the distorted rhythm guitar is a j-station with:

waves x-noise plugin enabled to take out harshness
waves eq to bring back in the high end that xnoise took out
anteres mic sim to taylor the sound a little better

i have since moved on from the j-station obviously and was hoping to NOT need to resort to running x-noise to take out harshness. why cant these damn modellers sound realistic ?! :)

eddie

Its the acoustic lead parts that sound good. Might be recorded bad as you said, but sounds really good in the mix.

Ive never thought to use noise reduction to get rid of harshness. Cold work but alwasy best to get the sound right at recording, less playing about with the recorded sound the more natural it will sound.

i had trouble getting them to fit right. it was on a tight schedule so i didnt have a lot of time to fiddle with EQ. for a while they were really overpowering and distorted. still not as crisp as i'd like but they work.

as far as harshness, its hard to get it out before recording because thats just the nature of digital modellers. but i think the Vetta has better models than the j-station so hopefully i wont have to get rid of harshness when i've found my amp models im settled on

eddie

Back