For fun and remembering the good ole 80s

bigbubba

So I was listening to my favorite europop stuff and thought it would be nice to do a rock version of it. Around that time I had also heard some rock band do a cover of Britney Spears' Hit Me One More Time. It was in Freaky Friday, the movie.

Anyhoo, I set out trying to figure out the "chords" to the song. Never figured it out. Wasn't good enough guitarist yet.

Recently, I tried again and was able to figure out what I think is the correct chords progression.

Anyhoo, it's a cover and melody is as best as I could emulate with the guitar at my current skill level. It's not complete and I doubt that I'll be able to do the solo so I might never finish it. Or I might add a different solo that I am able to play.

CYAY - http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=419303&songID=4636741

The original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LFJb82uNPc

Last edited:
Cool bigbubba - I like the groove you got going on the drums. The rhythm guitar on the right has a great tone to it. I heard a nice rhythm part on the left side at about :50/:54/2:15 that had a good effect - could use more of that for dynamics (although it is nicely placed now). Cool echo on the guitar for leads/rhythm....Great lead tone and playing...

:) :D :) :D

ido1957 said:
Cool bigbubba - I like the groove you got going on the drums. The rhythm guitar on the right has a great tone to it. I heard a nice rhythm part on the left side at about :50/:54/2:15 that had a good effect - could use more of that for dynamics (although it is nicely placed now). Cool echo on the guitar for leads/rhythm....Great lead tone and playing...

:) :D :) :D
Ido, thanks very much for listening and commenting. The only FX on most things is the EQ. Other than that the guitars have a little reverb and the backup vocals emulating guitar has a simple delay. The rest of the FX are from the DigiTech presets.

Don't know if you heard the original version or not, but those were the days when it didn't cross our thoughts at all that it all sounded somewhat full of too much fluff.

Nice sounds man....I think teh rhythm guitars could be brought up slightly in the mix, and then you might do the same with the bass. I like the sounds you got.

Cool tune man. Gonna watch the video you linked now.... :D

Dogman said:
Nice sounds man....I think teh rhythm guitars could be brought up slightly in the mix, and then you might do the same with the bass. I like the sounds you got.

Cool tune man. Gonna watch the video you linked now.... :D
Hey Dogman, thanks for listening and commenting. :)

You know I was thinking that the rhythm was too loud so I turned it down and took the bass down a couple of dbs. Anyhoo, so did you see the original video? What'dya think?

:)

bigbubba said:
Other observations or comments?

I'm hungry, it might be dinnertime.

Oh,wait, you mean the SONG?? Oh, Well, my first instinct was that the rhythm might be better down a half dB or so, but you caught that yourself..

I do love the tone on the rhythm guitars; I can never get anything crunchy to sound authentic... What are you using for drums?

I wanted to comment last night but it was locked.
Now I can't remember what I was going to say. I'll listen again & get back to you.

Llarion said:
I'm hungry, it might be dinnertime.

Oh,wait, you mean the SONG?? Oh, Well, my first instinct was that the rhythm might be better down a half dB or so, but you caught that yourself..

I do love the tone on the rhythm guitars; I can never get anything crunchy to sound authentic... What are you using for drums?
Llarion, dude you're back. :) Nice to see you again.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

About the rhythm, I was thinking about lowering it but Dogman was thinking about raising it. :) But he's more heavy metal that I am so I guess he's thinking more of his kind of music. :)

For drums I'm using FLStudio4 and some basic out-of-the-box sounds that came with it.

The guitar crunch is DigiTech RP200 that I recently purchased. :)

rayc said:
I wanted to comment last night but it was locked.
Now I can't remember what I was going to say. I'll listen again & get back to you.
Thanks for dropping by Rayc.

I was rather drunk last night and thought it fun to close the thread for some reason. I realized this morning that doing so might prevent people from commenting. :) Duh.... See my use of logic? :D

bigbubba said:
Llarion, dude you're back. :) Nice to see you again.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

About the rhythm, I was thinking about lowering it but Dogman was thinking about raising it. :) But he's more heavy metal that I am so I guess he's thinking more of his kind of music. :)

For drums I'm using FLStudio4 and some basic out-of-the-box sounds that came with it.

The guitar crunch is DigiTech RP200 that I recently purchased. :)
Too cool. It be Bubbalicious... :) Thanks for the welcome, I gotta rebuild my street cred now, I guess.. :)

Real cool man. Sorry about the late response but a bump never hurt anyone. Love how this one steps up at :48. I think the backing guitar sounds alright where it's at. I'll have to look into that DigiTech RP200 , never had a chance to play on one before. I think the bass maybe could come down a tad but thats personal taste. Everyone tells me to turn mine up so go figure. Really liked your take on this man. Especially always like your lead guitars.

Take care man

gary

Hey Bubba, cool sounds all around. A pretty moving guitar instrumental piece... I know some guitar instrumentals don't stay interesting, but I like this.. good melody and changes. Like the delay effects. The only crit I have is something somebody said already about the somewhat muffled sound, sounds like it could be more punchy and powerful. Cool tune :cool: :cool:

gbav said:
Real cool man. Sorry about the late response but a bump never hurt anyone. Love how this one steps up at :48. I think the backing guitar sounds alright where it's at. I'll have to look into that DigiTech RP200 , never had a chance to play on one before. I think the bass maybe could come down a tad but thats personal taste. Everyone tells me to turn mine up so go figure. Really liked your take on this man. Especially always like your lead guitars.

Take care man

gary
Gary, thanks for listening and commenting. No worries on the late response. I'm just glad you checked it out and liked it.

I've been out of town so I didn't get a chance to check out anything here.

Sometimes, work can be so boring. Especially when I have to fly out of town and stuff.

The DigiTech is pretty cool. I think it might be a little hassle using in a live gig 'coz of all the presets and changing thru presets using pedals and stuff. But I've heard people saying they do it. But for recording it's pretty cool since you can just sit there and get the tone you want.

Allows my guitars to sound just a little better than they would otherwise. I haven't been able to tweak Amplitube like you or some of the others so I welcomed the DigiTech to my arsenal. :)

Anyhoo, thanks for listening and the kind words. :)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Hey Bubba, cool sounds all around. A pretty moving guitar instrumental piece... I know some guitar instrumentals don't stay interesting, but I like this.. good melody and changes. Like the delay effects. The only crit I have is something somebody said already about the somewhat muffled sound, sounds like it could be more punchy and powerful. Cool tune :cool: :cool:
SnakeDog, thanks for listening and commenting.

Good point about the muffled sound. You and TexRoadkill are both right on the muffled sound.

It's running with minimal FX. I was trying to get a live rock band at a cafe kind of feel. So I chose to not process that much and welcomed the muffled sound of the drumkit and the some of the rhythm guitars.

I might try to fit in the solo and then work on the sound a little but since this is a cover song, I just don't feel like I should focus on finishing this vs. finishing one of my regular tracks. :)

Thanks again for listening. :)

Back