a first recording.. need some feedback.

DARKSHINE

Hey all.

(I posted this is songwriting section as well, although I didn't write the song)

This was my first time recording on my little home studio set up:

Focusrite LE
Tascam vl-4a monitors (cheap I know, I had to bargain)
Studio Projects B1 Condenser
Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones

HERE.

Now I just want some feedback, I doubled up on the vocals in the first verse (which imo sounds horrible, than again it might just be because it was sun poorly in one or two takes) but yes, some feedback on how to get my acoustic guitar sounding better, and my vocals. I want to record a really good demo before I start with my originals..

All help is appreciated,
thanks heaps!

Daniel

Last edited:
The acoustic sounds great. The single vocal sounds nice and you have a pleasant voice, but I agree with you, the double vocals sound weird. It flatters some singers, and not others. I hate the sound of my voice doubled over as well. I don't think you need it. Pretty good so far though. BTW...I have the same headphones, and I love em'.

Oooh, I love this. Great sound in the chorus. I wanna hear the rest!

As for the vocals doubled up, yeah, it sounded a little weird, and your voice sounds good as it is, as ksounds said.
Guitar sounds great to me.

Really good!

intomusic

If this is your first recording, you're in good shape. Guitar sounds great. I agree the doubled vocals sound weird. My vocals don't sound good either when doubled. Your voice sounds good though. Just single track it.

And maybe host the song at a free mp3 site so more people can listen. Myspace sucks and is blocked by most people's work computers....which is where lots of people listen from.

mmmm

thanks for the kind words guys!

I opened up this project again in Logic, and decided to play around with it based on what you guys have told me. I removed one of the vocal layers and EQ'd the better take untill it sounded a bit thicker and warm. I also changed the acoustic guitar a bit.

I'll upload it tomorrow and tell me if you think it sounds better.

And yes, Greg_L, I will upload it to soundclick or something similar.

cheers everyone again,
Daniel

Back