First mix of college (NEED CRITIQUE!)

PokerDude422

This is the first mix i have made in the dorm rooms at my college and I was just seeing if anyone had any comments or ideas to help it out.

I'm running pro tools with a mbox 2 so i only have 2 imports which is why the drums arent quite as powerful as they should be. I ran them from the export of a mixer into the mbox but yeah any ideas to help it out would be great

thanks a ton

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9218

here goes...

1. snare sounds great on cross-stick at beginning.
2. like the guitar wah.
3. mix is pretty good up until this point (1minute in) Vocals and vocal echo (panned slight right) sound pretty good.
4. pretty busy song...but so far you've contained it all fairly well.
5. 1:53 - uh oh...acoustic guitar too hot...ouch. ok, it stopped at 2:13. This section needs to be fixed. it's clipping bad.
6. outtro - good sound on the guitar arppegio thingy.

drums weren't that bad i guess...you need a little deeper kick and snare needs more meat, but that crossstick at the beginning was tight!

I'll let someone else comment on the EQ and muddiness in places...that's not my strength.

good job though...

cholo

I quite like it

Structure wise.

pretty much everything elcholo said.

the reason the Click sounds so nice at the start is because of the nice attack then it is missing because the snare has not got that attack.

a lot of the perceptual issues would be solved with this change "more attack on the snare" or really just the snare brought forward in the mix.

overall anything that shows up this filthy system we live in, i like, so i'm in.

i like it.
oh cut the guitar acoustic cut i mean frequency cut I’ll let you figure it out it's a minefield. cut and pull I’d say.

Sounds Good! all the drums get buried in places. Maybe some heavier compression on the snare to even it out after the sidestick part. It comes in and out of the mix right now.
The lead guitar is a little in your face up front to me. I'd verb it a little to set it into the mix some and or pull a bit of 3k, likely needs a volume adjustment also. There's just a big seperation of where it is in space vs the rest of the song.

Sounds really good man!

F.S.

thanks for all the tips guys i made some changes and fixed that clipping and ill post the newer remixed version up later today, im at my work right now so i dont have the file with me. I am also getting my Audio Engineering Professor to give me some feedback on the mix on friday so he should help me make it even better

hey guys here is version two with some other changes that my audio professors showed me, the distored guitar was cancelling itself out at certain frequencies because of the distance i miced it but i changed it around and fixed that as well as some other stuff, let me know what you guys think

The second mix is a lot better. The vocals in the first mix were kind of burried and the dynamics of the mix were kinda out of hand and that all seems to have been taken care of. This is good for being done in a dorm room!

If I can suggest anything, it would be to turn the guitars down a bit, especially at the solo. It seems they're too loud in comparison to the vocals and they're drowning out the drums. The part where it's just acoustic, "are you still alone" is exemplary of this too me. I'd move the guitars back through reverb or volume change and make them a bit more present using some light, smooth EQ.

Good job!

Much better. I'd center that side stick and the vocals. If you want to move the lead vox left when the backups come in you could do that. Might seem odd having it move mid song. you'd just have to try. the song seems left heavey as it is though. Another option is to try it with the lead vox only 5% left. It doesn't take much on such a main component.

Another thing you might look at if you want too keep the vox that left is to move the Whaaaaaing guitar to the right opposite the vocals.

All and all it sounds way better to me:)

I'm just not sure the lead vox left, backups right effect on the last half is worth the lopsidedness of the first half.

I listened again. I think if you pan the lead vox center until right after the lead vox say "keep you alive" and then pan left for that build with the vocal "ohhhhhs"
You could pull off the change. There's a long enough period between the too parts that there would be no strangeness and the Ohhhhs would seem more like back ups off to the side.

Just a thought.

Cool song!

Later

F.S.

Last edited:
Back