First Mix!

Drummer4Life05

Say Something Smart!
Okay, maybe my second mix...but still...;)
Here's the lowdown...
I really don't have a clue what I'm doing...:p
Here's what I do know: I know that the tempo is fighting throughout the whole tune -- I will eventually re-record this tune to a click. [The guitarist doesn't have the best timing. ;)] And I also know that the singer needs to work on his vocal support.
We're still a work in progress. ;)

My friend is on guitar, vocals, and I'm on drums, bass, shaker and tambourine.

I'd just like comments on how the mix sits. Sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks guys.

Salt Sewer

i absolutely am completely neurotic about mixes being centered correctly, etc.

so, naturally, I HATE hot the drums are RIGHT and the guitar is LEFT. I'd like to hear them both more center. Of course, you can make them stereo, but not this much. haha.... I assume you did this because of old recordings, for exmaple, as the beatles used to do, etc...

nice song. A few comments on the mix.

- Keep the drums dead center.
- Cut some lows on the acoustic
- Boost some highs on the drums, the snare in particular sounds like its behind a pillow.

Keep trying. It took me quite a while before I was happy with my mixing.

I'd like to hear a little more sheen on it all around, but I've been mastering stuff all night, so everything is probably going to sound a bit dull.

The panning thing doesn't bug me, but the guitar does sound like it's in its own little world... Maybe you could duplicate that track (if you're in a DAW) and high-cut the dupe dead center about 4-6dB below the one that's panned to the side. Low cut the panned one a bit. That'll keep the "body" of it near the middle, but still have the directional highs off to the side.

Just a thought...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

I like the song, the panning is different but OK. Drums don't have to be center. I think the mix needs some work if you want to keep the panning like it is. The drums are the loudest thing that I hear, so bring them down a bit and balance them against the guitar more, this will give your guitar a bigger sound. I think the vocals are OK, but they need to be brought up, and maybe sung with a little more confidence or aggressiveness, you have a good singing voice, let it rip!

Thanks slkeen!!
Actually, that was not me singing, but a friend, who also played the guitar on that track. But I will be sure to pass along the positive comments!

And thanks for the tips on the balancing, I will be working on it some more later tonight.

Thanks for listening! :cool:

Good stuff. The drums I think sound excellent. Vocals could use some work though, tell him not to try to over sing it. Just let it go, I can tell he can sing, just let it be natural.

dominofresh said:
Good stuff. The drums I think sound excellent. Vocals could use some work though, tell him not to try to over sing it. Just let it go, I can tell he can sing, just let it be natural.

Thanks for the comment on the drums. :)
I'll talk to the singer later and give him some tips.

I am not at a place where I can listen to the recording right now, so take everything I say with the fact that I haven't heard the song in mind.

There are certain pop mixing "rules". Some of these rules happen to be that you must mix the drums, lead vocals, and bass guitar to the center.

I HATE those rules. They are restrictive and boring... but they are rules none the less. In order to break a rule, you really kinda' have to know it inside and out. My advise would be to really learn to mix by the book first if you are a newbie. Once you know the rules, you will be able to break them much more effectively and artistically.

That being said, I love a song that pans the drum kit off to the side. I've even heard it done in very modern pop-sounding songs. If you are going to do it, here's a few things to keep in mind:

There's a good chance the drum kit won't end up as loud or be as big of a space hog if you pan it off to the side. Pick a song that can live with drums that aren't bigger than life. Heck, pick a song that benefits from drums that aren't bigger than life.

Beware of making a mix that sounds lopsided. Sit in the middle of your monitors and close your eyes and really listen. Is the sound enveloping you evenly, "pushing" against all sides of your head with an equal force, or are there "holes" that you can feel? Or there might be the opposite of holes. One side of your head might feel like the sound is "pushing" against it exessively. Twiddle pan knobs and play with reverb, delay, EQ, and levels until you are nicely envoloped by sound evenly on all sides.

I hope some of that helped since I haven't heard your recording yet. I'll give a listen as soon as I can.

Chibi!
Man, that helps me more than I can say!
Granted, I'm not quite at the level where I can answer all those questions, and perform all those tasks quickly, you helped me a great deal with that insight!
I figured there was nothing wrong with panning the drums off to the side -- I mean, it's MY mix, and I like how it sounds! I do realize, though, that there ARE "rules", and I should learn how to follow them.

Thanks again! :D :D

I like the concept. Once I started paying attention I thought it was so odd the way alot of 50's - 60's albumx with like the rhythm section on one side and horns melodic instruments on the other.

That being said. I still think it works with a large band to me. When I listen to something I like to hear what it would sound like If I were dead center in front of the stage as a preference. The panning does add space and keeps it from sounding so... well... mono but with such sparse instrumentalism it's a little lost on me.

All in all everythign sounds pretty good though. Some of the cybal crashes seem a little piercing but I'm listening on cheap computer speakers.

I'll echo the "trying to hard" with the singer. A good voice but sounds forced.

I was able to give your song a listen. I love the sound of your snare. It's boxy and dull with a "thud" that just....does it for me. Seems like it would go great with an unnatural and equally dull/boxy electronic bass drum sample mixed in under the real bass drum.

Chibi Nappa said:
I was able to give your song a listen. I love the sound of your snare. It's boxy and dull with a "thud" that just....does it for me. Seems like it would go great with an unnatural and equally dull/boxy electronic bass drum sample mixed in under the real bass drum.

Cool idea! :cool:
But...how do you reccomend I get a electronic bass drum sample?

Back