First Ever Mix- Just a part of a song I wrote called Lust

5TARME

https://soundcloud.com/dylan-weill-201290749/mix
This is my first time mixing, I just started a day ago I am using a rode NT1 into the 2i2. Critisim on the mix would be great thanks. I am aware that the synths overpower the lead vocals a bit I am going to fix that. I'm planning on recording a full project so I'd like to hear what you guys think of the mix.

I'm not an expert in this genre and the clip was very short.

But I thought your singing voice was very nice. The vocal is lacking a little clarity. I would back off the stereo effects just a little bit. The stereo sounded cool, but I think it was a bit too heavy. Did you put any EQ on the vocal? It's a little tough to make out. Additionally lowering the synth a bit would help - you probably only need to lower it by a db or two.

Thank you for the compliment! The vocal is EQ'd quite a bit to get the sound i was looking for. I do agree It is a little too heavy and will try to make the vocals clearer.

The big things that jumped out to me were that the snare is too quiet, and the vocal fades in and out of audibility.
The former can be addressed by turning it up, obviously. The latter can probably be helped with some compression.

The big things that jumped out to me were that the snare is too quiet, and the vocal fades in and out of audibility.
The former can be addressed by turning it up, obviously. The latter can probably be helped with some compression.

By the snare you meant turning up the beat correct? The vocal fading is a flanger stereo effect I'm using on purpose to achieve a spaced out kind of sound. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah the vocals sound good just too much in and out...plus maybe too much low end...roll of low frequencies should help. Post more of the song so we can help you better.

The rhythm tracks sounded smooth and deep. Good stuff. You need to think about the role of the vocals in this mix. The effects on them are so radical, nobody is going to understand a word. You could mix it lower and treat it as part of the backing tracks. Or, if you want people to understand your vocal, you should cut back on the effects and put it at the center of your mix.

That pitch shifting on the lead vocal, way too much.

The rhythm tracks sounded smooth and deep. Good stuff. You need to think about the role of the vocals in this mix. The effects on them are so radical, nobody is going to understand a word. You could mix it lower and treat it as part of the backing tracks. Or, if you want people to understand your vocal, you should cut back on the effects and put it at the center of your mix.

That pitch shifting on the lead vocal, way too much.

Thanks, I'm editing it right now. I'm going to lower the synths so they don't overpower the lead. I actually just noticed how deep the pitch shift was good call!:facepalm: What exactly do you mean by put it at the center? I was looking into recording years ago but never got around to it so I'm a complete noob with all the terminology haha.

Ah, I will post more in a little this song is a work in progress at the moment. I don't have the leisure to record all the time so its a slow burn :yawn: But any knowledge i acquire from this little part I can apply to the rest.

By center I meant, the voice is what you want the listener to focus on.

Ah that's what I figured, I'll probably post another mix up tomorrow when I get the time to record with the enhancements to see if I'm on the right track.

The issue isn't the EQ. It's the excessive pitch shifting effect on the vocal. I know that effect is the fad in some genres, but so much? To me it sounds like you are hiding your vocals. Try singing it straight, so that the voice and the lyric can shine through.

The issue isn't the EQ. It's the excessive pitch shifting effect on the vocal. I know that effect is the fad in some genres, but so much? To me it sounds like you are hiding your vocals. Try singing it straight, so that the voice and the lyric can shine through.

Damn, I put those pitch shifting harmonies from 4db to -9db on the second one and it still is over powering? I don't wanna fully get rid of the effect because it gives the song a intoxicated kind of sound that I was trying to portray. If i lower them more it sounds like this.

View attachment 3_mixdown.mp3

I listened to mixes #2 and #3. Mix #2 is louder than #3 (and longer). I guess that makes it a little easier to make out the lyrics. But both of them are still heavily pitch shifted. Between those two, I couldn't tell a difference in the amount of pitch shifting. To me it still needs to be brought way back. That is, if you want the words to be clear and understood well.

A little longer clip would help too.

The autotune thing is part of the genre. I think it's perfectly fine. Fits in with everything else that would be in a similar playlist. Are your drums all in one track? That's an issue. You need, at least, the kick and snare on their own track. The snare needs the most work. It has almost zero role here, and no character.

I spent a lot of time today watching tutorials on how to compress, eq, and level vocals. How does this one sound? I dialed down the auto tune harmonies on this one so you guys can give me feedback on how the vocals sound mixing wise without being overpowered. This one sounds the clearest so far on my monitors so I think I'm on the right track.

View attachment newmixmp3.mp3

---------- Update ----------

The autotune thing is part of the genre. I think it's perfectly fine. Fits in with everything else that would be in a similar playlist. Are your drums all in one track? That's an issue. You need, at least, the kick and snare on their own track. The snare needs the most work. It has almost zero role here, and no character.

Yeah its all on one track, I did not produce the beat myself

Last edited:
Much better, vocally. Tip, before you compress, turn the compressor off and get the level of the vocal sounding right without compression. You have some words that are popping out too much yet. Level them out first, then compress later.

Yo. I think the vocal could use I little bit less of the autotune. Now it clogs up the entire vocal and you can't hear what is being said. As of intrumentation I think the snare could get a little bit higher and the kickdrum could use a bit more bottom. Also the synth could maybe use a little b it of distortion and some hi-end!

Back