Finally something sweet from F_cksia..

Hmm. I was listening to Beck's "Sea Change" record at work today and the first few bars of this almost made me think I was hearing an outtake from that.

My take is that the vox need a smooth, gentle verb on them. I think they're too dry for this tune. Also, whatever you do with the verb, you gotta chose one and stick with it:). Sounds like you were doing different verbs on each phrase for the first couple verses there. And at :55 the voice practically drops out altogether.

And I very rarely offer performance suggestions, especially with singing (except for obvious pitch problems) because 1) it's very personal and subjective and 2) I can barely sing myself.

BUT...

Having said that though, I think the singer on this (you?) sounds like he's just trying way too hard. I'd like to hear this done a little more laid back and easy. Kind of like, er... Beck's "Sea Change". In particular that vibrato ain't working for me. It just sounds way too deliberate and affected and kind of clumsy, and it seems to be affecting the singers ability to stay on key as well.

I think with a smoother vocal performance and the right reverb this could be a very cool song.

Chris

yes...the music is beautiful... hard to capture brushes well...but you did pretty decently.

the singing is off key, so I would call the a mix problem VS a preference situation.

I hear and understand the previous comment about the vibrato. It seems "forced" and unatural. If you just "belted it out" instead, it seems it would be better. I actually like the organ hanging out on the right..and the sound too. Adds nicely to the tune and mix.

No mix complaints too much, except the vocal treatments and performance.

Maybe on the fade...bring the brushes down too....realizing you might have left them up for "effect"...but they then all of a sudden cut off... so...fade improvement too.

I liked the cool brush effect sounds like the seashore ... Almost
Is the vocalists primary language something other than english? some of the accents on the words seemed to be in unusual places which made it seem more pitchy than it really was.

Peace
Bill

Bring the vocal down 1.5.

I really like this. Reminds me of nick cave. I really like the sound on the guitar and drums. You got a tube anywhere in your gear? Can you put that vocal through it? There's something either a bit too loud or too raw about it.

Really nice. Okay, now I know you can do this kind of stuff. You'll get no mercy from me LOL.

It's the singing in this I like the best. Not smooth, not polished, but really really good.

dobro said:

It's the singing in this I like the best. Not smooth, not polished, but really really good.

the singing is off key
...I think I am resposible for that 2nd quote!

Now I understand why there is chocolate and vanilla.

Very nice sound you have on this. I felt the vocals were a bit too hot (just a tad) and the rest is a performance preference...To my ears it does sound a bit out of key and a little warbly, but that may be what you are going for...

As far as the writing goes, this is very well written and I think you've come up with a very nice arrangement. Kind of laid back and ambiant. Very nice!

:D

Yeah well.. the singer.. I didn't sing it, I can only sing cheesy punktunes now and than :D.
Anyway, it's sung by the guy who wrote the lyrics. We both heard it was not too in key sometimes, but he put so much emotion in this take he just wasn't able to do it over than (in the last lyric you can actually hear in his voice he's crying).

Anyway to all: thanks really much for the comments, I tried to fix it to make the vox sound a little harsh, but I guess I'll have to retrack it, a little more away from the mic?

Again: thanks!

Nice tune. Great feel, great mood. I love the arrangement and the simplicity.

I like the mix, but I find the lead vox a little too up front.

Ok, some harshness. You voice has an incredible sound and even more potential.

I do hear some struggling in some spots with key, sustain and confidence.

All of these should be able to be corrected with carful tracking.

All of these would be corrected by singing lessons.

I hear your voice and I think, this guy would be a singing god if he found a competent teacher.

Sean

Ik ben met Smellyfuzz :) Instrumentaal en qua mix prima ok.

De zang: potentie is het juiste woord, maar hij is er nog (lang) niet. Lessen lijkt me inderdaad raadzaam...of gewoon heel veel doen en kritisch luisteren...

Wel jammer, want het nummer is mooi! :)

Nice pretty song.

Little pitchiness in the vocals, but a good strong voice. Harmonies in the chorus would be a big plus.

Little click on the right side at :14.

I like the brush effect, gave it a seashore feel. I wonder if it would have a stronger effect if it weren't used throughout the whole song. Maybe pull it back in certain spots?

Good song.

GREAT song! Loving it.

This vocal performance on this song is not right for the tune though. Basically agree with what was said before regarding vibrato, pitch, etc.

Recording setup was:

Bass: DI (I know, not my habit).
Guitar: Rode NTK near bridge, Shure 16A opposite side of soundhole.
Vocals: Rode NTK
Drums: Shure 52 on kick
SM58 (without screen) on snare
OH: Rode NTK 2x, Shure 16A

Light Hall Reverb on Guits, Vox and Drums out of the Lexicon MPX 200.

Slight Eq'ing on Snare. Some high boost and low roll-off I guess.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

F_cksia said:
Recording setup was:

Drums: Shure 52 on kick
SM58 (without screen) on snare
OH: Rode NTK 2x, Shure 16A

Slight Eq'ing on Snare. Some high boost and low roll-off I guess.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

great job on the drums man!

Let's say we have 9-Lives

Cat food... check ;)

What's that wind-rush... sound? Snare drum w/brushes, and endless reverb? Hm. I'm dumb... it's probably a regular instrument you could buy at a corner K-Mart :)

That sounds like the only detraction in this... other than the vocal getting about 4 db too loud at its peak... to the point they drown out the mix. The encoding noise is especially noticeable on that delicate swooshing b.g. sound...

Very nice song. Good, clean tracking. Vocals remind me of dobro's style, sort of.

This was sweet.

Chad

BTW: That's what I'm going to try next on OH... RØDE NTK x2... I've heard good things

i would agree the vocals have a few pitch problems, but they are very solid in tone..........i love the brushes on the snare.......the acoustics are very nice too.....

Hard to critique brushes on an mp3, but I think they could be a tad brighter.

The vocal could use some space as well, and are a bit loud especially toward the end. I can hear the 'verb in there, but it seems "detached" from the track. A little too dark I think.

interesting twist, I`d didnt forethink a tune this laid back from you. :) I like the brushes, but I think they should fade back after the intro more and not be quite as apparent, i really liked the touch though. The verb was a little odd to me, showed up in several places almost at distraction level. Maybe could be more transparent. The guitar was pretty nice and the keyboard support, although when the little riff thats played together a couple of times happens, it sounds like a string is a bit out of tune. Vocal was a little too hot, but the tune itself is rich, got good capture on all the tracks, yet could handle a little more producing.

Back