Fight

crankyelbow

Fight, because the general idea was angry, and some inspiration was taken from the fake punching sounds of kung-fu movies.

Working on my musicianship/mixing/mastering skills all at once, this I recorded a while ago and sorta forgot about - recently took as a mastering excersize. Was extremely muddy - EXTREMELY bass heavy and EXTREMELY dark - the low/mid heavy rhythm guitar has alot to do with that... I wanna use the phrase "what was I smokin" when I mixed this the first time, but I know what I was smokin, and I'm glad I quit :) Issues resolved? You tell me :)

The low bass is probably too loud... this has been the hardest part to get a hold of - particularly with the way the bass goes in this particar song. I LOVE BIG BASS! So I have no concept of what the "proper" level is, too much I've found, too little I've found, but just right.... evades.

I really wonder what the ears here have to say :)

Last edited:
The punch snare is a too loud & across everything for the rest of the arrangement to shine.
There's certainly not enough bass or definition for that bass in this track at present.
There's alos a lean in the stereo field - not much happening over on the right.
The rhythm guitar is pretty woolly - you really need to work on that.
Some good ideas happening that need some work to shine through.

Sure didn't expect to hear a lack of bass :), even my little computer sub here is puttin in some work trying to reproduce the low sweeps and bursts of 30 some hz. Are you saying more of that range is needed, or more in the 80-200hz range?

Im not sure what you mean by wooly in reference to the rhythm guitar? The idea was gritted teeth and grunting, if that makes any sense :)

THanks for bringing the L/R imbalance to my attention... when I can get a hold of the original recorded files I'll have to do some panning which will probably help alot. This is one of those "I got used to it" cases, same with the loud snare.

Back