Feedback on mix (stoner rock)

ragata

Finished up a weekend session with a local stoner/rock band the other day. The bands real happy and all, but I'd like to get some real feedback on this one all the same :)
I've worked with them once before and really wanted the quality of their new demo to beat the first one. It was all recorded in the bands rehearsal room.
I'm mostly concerned about the vocals and the drums myself - the room wasn't exactly ideal for vocals and I've had to work quite a bit on 'em. The snare still sounds a bit "boxy" to me (but maybe I'm being too selfcritical), and the kick sounds a bit artificial perhaps. All in all though, I'm pretty satisfied.

Any comments on this one?

cheers

The vocals aren't quite centred. Is there a reason?
The vocals sound fine. I don't know about stoner band. they're pretty up. The vocals are very similar to those in Radio Birdman as is the music. Try to get a listen.
I think the vocals are good. they sit IN the mix & have a touch of desperation near shout in them.
The only real crit I'd have is that the bass needs either definition or vol.
The fuzz wah lead line is cool - it's a little quieter the second time through.
I don't see the point in the slower/quieter beginning to the main solo after GO. When it picks up again it really hits home hard.
Really look up Radio Birdman & the New Christs, (Australia 1976 to present). This isn't stoner it's classic HARD ROCK of the sort that was energized by punk but informed by Stooges, MC5 & a little surf.
Well captured particularly given it was in their room not yours.
What are the guitars cranking through - sounds like real OVERDRIVEN amps with some distortion. NOT the usual pedal job.
Cool as....
Where can I get a download of this?

thanks rayc!
Actually the (lead) vocals are dead center with a bit of stereo reverb. Maybe that's what you're referring to? I think I might have panned a dub or two slightly to the left as well. And I'd be sure to check those bands out, especially since I might work with these guys again. Thanks for the recommendation!
I hear you about the bass - out of six songs this is the only one where the bass lacks definition. It has a very similar fuzz to the guitars and "blend" in perhaps a bit too well.

The guitars(fender strat, gibson sg) go through a valvestate - can't recall the model right now. One of the guitarists also had a nice big muff, and the other one some cheap digitech multi effect. They also tuned their instruments down halfway to hell :)
The head is pretty cranked, but most of the distortion actually comes from the pedals.

I suppose they'll upload the entire demo at their website shortly - www.oblivionmusic.se

Anyone else?

I checked out their website - Holy machine is the only thing there that approaches this current one. The others are as you described Stoner Rock.
Are you Linus the Genious?
The fuzz bass would explain the lack of definition. maybe a little EQ carving?
The muff sounds nice. Even the digi comes up well - well done to you for that. Most of the guitar sounds avoid generic death metal or new wave of british heavy metal sounds that seem to abound these days.
I MUCH prefer the sounds and feel of this song to the stuff on the web site.
Keep up the good work.

I really like your guitar sound...remids me of kyuss...vocals weren't what I was expecting...I thought they would be buried and kinda inaudible...yours come out well in the mix and sound pretty clear.I agree about the snare sounding a bit 2 dimensional and boxy..but a minor nit for me as this tune sounds real good...rocks man, nice job!

Back