February Song

CrankyOne

Geez... another one of these...

This song is not that fresh. I did this sometime late 2000. I was going to wait until I'd get some better sounds and then I kinda forgot the whole song. I found this again a while ago, so I thought I'd just use the sounds it had no matter how midi they sound like. I'm too lazy to start doing anything major so I just thought of releasing it now. There's no vocals and no guitar playing or any playing whatsoever on this one. All midi. But.. enough explaining...

Here's the link:

Watch a few movies do we? It was quite cinematic...I can see what you mean by not being thrilled with your MIDI sounds though. The harp and flute movement came out pretty smooth. You might want to also upload a MIDI file cause I would like to hear what this would sound like on my MIDI rig. Great writing....post it again if you get some more realistic MIDI voices.

fake sounding or not, this was excellent! sure you knew I was gonna like it.. I can't believe that can be done without actually playing it.. I really need to start learning about programming.. Some of these sounds really aren't too bad.. it's mainly the violin that sounds very 'General Midi.'

really like this.. I guess it's the programming that takes away from the human feel at certain times, but it's quite good for what it is.. I listened 3 times in a row already..

great listen Crankable One.. I really must learn about midi.. I am a midiot..:(

HogansHiro said:
Watch a few movies do we? It was quite cinematic...I can see what you mean by not being thrilled with your MIDI sounds though. The harp and flute movement came out pretty smooth. You might want to also upload a MIDI file cause I would like to hear what this would sound like on my MIDI rig. Great writing....post it again if you get some more realistic MIDI voices.

Yeah. I agree it does sound like a movie score. Maybe it's subconcious. I noticed my song reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe I'll post the midi too. I can't remember what I exactly did when I turned it into a wave. I did some reverb at least and something else, so it may not sound exactly the same even if it would be played with the same midi sounds, but close.

B.SABBATH said:
fake sounding or not, this was excellent! sure you knew I was gonna like it.. I can't believe that can be done without actually playing it.. I really need to start learning about programming.. Some of these sounds really aren't too bad.. it's mainly the violin that sounds very 'General Midi.'

really like this.. I guess it's the programming that takes away from the human feel at certain times, but it's quite good for what it is.. I listened 3 times in a row already..

great listen Crankable One.. I really must learn about midi.. I am a midiot..:(

:D a midiot :D

Well, the hard part of the midi surely is that inhuman feel, and it's very hard to shake off. I don't think I've been able to do that. I'm too much of a programmer, I guess :D

(did you check your PM's, by the way ?)

Do I hear the drum line to "One"? :)

Hey man this is cool indeed! Agreed that the patches could use an improvement, but I guess that's the cool thing about midi...upgradability. Great tool for film scoring I imagine...which is something I'm slowly working toward myself. I like the second half of this more than the first, although I really dug when it really kicks in during the first half.

As an experiment, we should collab on a midi project (composition) sometime. I could run the data through the Korg. Based on this tune it sounds like we have a lot in common outside of the rock genre.

Good stuff, Crank Me On!

your p.m. box is full..

remember you have to clear out the 'sent messages' as well as the 'inbox' and 'message tracking'

SLuiCe said:
Do I hear the drum line to "One"? :)

Hey man this is cool indeed! Agreed that the patches could use an improvement, but I guess that's the cool thing about midi...upgradability. Great tool for film scoring I imagine...which is something I'm slowly working toward myself. I like the second half of this more than the first, although I really dug when it really kicks in during the first half.

As an experiment, we should collab on a midi project (composition) sometime. I could run the data through the Korg. Based on this tune it sounds like we have a lot in common outside of the rock genre.

Good stuff, Crank Me On!

I like the second half more too :D I usually try to create songs so that there's something to expect at the end. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I just had a clear vision of this song. The first part is kind of 'losing your mind' thing. The middle part (with the harp and flute) is kind of 'medicating' or something, and then the finale could be anything...

Yep, the midi collaboration ain't a bad idea at all. I'm not sure how it would turn out, but at least midi files are fast to send back and forth so it should be interesting.

B.SABBATH said:
your p.m. box is full..

remember you have to clear out the 'sent messages' as well as the 'inbox' and 'message tracking'

Damn... I didn't even know my sent messages stay there.. Well, I cleared up some space.

Wow!That was great!It has some real sinister qualities to it.Nice and Evil sounding.Mint base for a larger concept.Green light from this end.Cool stuff!!!

Nice... midi-strings... would sound awesome w/the real thing... the arrangement is what's cool here... (samples aren't bad tho)

Does sound quite a bit like a soundtrack... cool. Snare roll a bit mechanical... almost like gunshots...

wow... cool layers of stuff... way cool. this stuff will induce nightmares, no doubt.

Nice harp sounds around 2:15... now's when you start thinking everything will be ok... waiting for evil to return... Snow WHite's gonna get eaten by a bear... waiting... aha!! 4:03... in the teeth... beautifull... choir of angels sing above the violence. Nice piano... the violin patch in this part may be mixed too loud??

Kick butt... you ought to try this out for movies... some lower budget flicks at first... but w/the right sounds, an arrangement like this would work in any high-budget flick. Good job, crankage. (not sure why it reminds us all of "february", but I'm guessing that's not the point :D)

c

Hey Cranky,
....yeah man, definitely cool stuff for a score. Lotsa tension in that first part. ...abstract and interesting.

cool stuff man

g

participant said:
Nice... midi-strings... would sound awesome w/the real thing... the arrangement is what's cool here... (samples aren't bad tho)

Does sound quite a bit like a soundtrack... cool. Snare roll a bit mechanical... almost like gunshots...

wow... cool layers of stuff... way cool. this stuff will induce nightmares, no doubt.

Nice harp sounds around 2:15... now's when you start thinking everything will be ok... waiting for evil to return... Snow WHite's gonna get eaten by a bear... waiting... aha!! 4:03... in the teeth... beautifull... choir of angels sing above the violence. Nice piano... the violin patch in this part may be mixed too loud??

Kick butt... you ought to try this out for movies... some lower budget flicks at first... but w/the right sounds, an arrangement like this would work in any high-budget flick. Good job, crankage. (not sure why it reminds us all of "february", but I'm guessing that's not the point :D)

c

Thank you :D
Yeah, it isn't really important what month this ended up being :D I'm just doing them and naming them sequentially. Just for kicks, you know (and also because I'm not that good at coming up with song titles, I think). I guess I'm kinda fooling around with a concept idea, even though the songs don't have any kind of concept or a common theme :D It's just fun playing with prog "rules", and not really meaning that much with any of it.

..and Guernica, One of the things I tried to do with the song was a metamorphosis from something a bit evil or hard to grasp into something melodic and sensible. You're right about the 'abstract' thing in the first part, that's what I was going for.

Bass strings really did give a sinister touch to this one. The harp section was magic and reminded very much of Scarborough Fair S&G. Great piece of work and I'll skip a shower just in case a knife comes flashing through the curtain.
Film scores, as you clearly have a talent for creating pictures in music.
Look forward to hearing more.

Gerry

twas nice. I like the ones that come from real deep inside. Painting stuff that can`t be put on canvas. Toward the end it started having a really intersting Joe Vannelli flavour. I really dug the theme.

Back