Fast Car

BushmasterM4

My daughters boyfriend and his trio came out to practice last week for an open mic night at a local coffee house. They are young kids (15 to 16), and do covers, ranging from The Beatles to John Cougar. All acoustic (except bass). Anyway I hit record and left the studio. The song linked here is Tracy Chapmans "Fast Car". Came out pretty good for a rehersal and a quick record set up. Its just 2 members on this tune. The singer (Joe, my daughters boyfriend) and the guitarist is their friend, I cant remember her name. There are some messups and lost lyrics, but, its a fun song and the kids can sing and play pretty good. http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6651688&q=hi

It's nice that kids that age are into this type of music.
Some of his diction/pronunciation is too clear/formal (did I really say that?) to make a couple of the lines work but for waht it is - great to hear!

Its pretty good. The singer needs to practice and he could be really good. Some notes get a little lost but it happens.

I was listening to classic rock when I was 16 to. I think its a progression that comes after you really become a musician. I am 19 now and pride myself on being able to name everything I hear on the radio by the first couple of bars.

Sounds okay, but I'd worry about any 15 or 16 year old likes this kind of stuff. They should be rocking and/or rolling.

It's nice that kids that age are into this type of music.
Some of his diction/pronunciation is too clear/formal (did I really say that?) to make a couple of the lines work but for waht it is - great to hear!

Yea. He stumbles at times. Needs more fluidity. Hmm, thats a nice word. They are doing a 2 hour show tonight, my wife and daughters went up. I just got done putting up my sound panels and cleaning the studio. I made a mess of it. I need to get them back out and do a serious recording.

Sounds okay, but I'd worry about any 15 or 16 year old likes this kind of stuff. They should be rocking and/or rolling.

The guitarist is a young girl and she didnt know what a power chords was. Well thats good in a way. But I showed her and we did a little jam session on electrics and she enjoyed it. My son played the drums on that jam. I didnt record it though. Should have. I said the same thing though. The bass player is really good and he knows alot of classic and new rock. But the others are more into classical.

Its pretty good. The singer needs to practice and he could be really good. Some notes get a little lost but it happens.

I was listening to classic rock when I was 16 to. I think its a progression that comes after you really become a musician. I am 19 now and pride myself on being able to name everything I hear on the radio by the first couple of bars.

Im the same way. But Im 45 now. I wish they would bring back "Name that Tune". Id kick butt and it sounds like you would too.

Back