experimental folk, all recorded with a beta58

ragata

(This is for those of you who can take the time to register at mp3.com)

This song was all recorded with a beta58 through a behringer1604 into cubase sx. I have upgraded my gear now, but I'm still quite satisfied with this one considering what I had to use.
I am aware of that the guitars might be a bit high in the 4k area or so, but hell. it was a dynamic microphone and I had to compensate.

Fire away, shitty or shining?

Top of the page, "Malice In Wonderland";
http://www.mp3.com/apatheia

thanks

Nice, big, warm acoustics guits. I liked the flute-sounding keys when they enter the song. Nice chord changes. The horns were a nice touch too.

I think the thing about the mix that can be most improved upon are the guits. While they sound nice, they're taking up the whole mix. The bass, electric guit, vocals, and horns are all tough to hear. That's probably because they're all trying to share frequency space with the acoustic guitars. Not sure if you want the words to be understood or not - sometimes people just want mumbling. But I had trouble making them out.

I'm not sure if you were going for a "doubled" sound on the guitars or not. The two acoustic guit tracks sounded a little strange in that their parts were very similar but not identical. It just seemed a litte strange to me.

I think this is a nice start. It has too nice of a sound to be titled "Malice in Wonderland" :D

thank you! I quite agree with your suggestions. I do have a tendancy to mix the guits high for some reason. BTW, the keys are real flutes and the horns are trumpets :)
The vox is more of a spice than an ingredient, and the lyrics are kind of surreal anyway.
Thanks for the input!

Vocals are fine where they are, I think. Gives it more of an etherial sound. The electric guitar could be louder.

The bass, however, could come up quite a bit.

Back