DECENTER - Hallucinations

DogmaticVox

Meh...
Hey all, here's the latest track I've finished. The attempt was to write a "rock" song without the big distorted guitars I'm used to. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Garry

Few things to note

1) The bass guitar seems to be only occupying the really low bass frequencies. Try boosting around 300-1000 to see if you can get more of the attack of the bass guitar.

2) The drums are a bit lifeless. Try more compression and EQ a bit more. Raise the volume a bit.

I think if you get the drums and bass to be more prominent in the mix it will sound better. The song sounds like it has way too much free space right now.

So are you guys saying to up the overall compression of the kit? I have the following drum busses:

Drums Bus + Cymbals Bus + Drum Compression Mix Bus -> All Drums Bus -> Master Bus

If you mean the entire kit should be compressed more, then I guess I could just try and bring up my compression mix bus up a few db. It's just a fine line because I don't want to take any life or air out of the drums either.

Yo... I wouldn't compress the drums anymore. I think ya just need to raise the volume on em' a bit. They're not as prominent as they should be, IMO, for a rock song.

To be honest, I think this song needs a few driving distorted guitars... They would compliment the song a lot in places. I'd personally like to hear them placed in spots throughout the song where it builds, and then take them away after the point has been made.

Other than the drum volume, mix sounds good.

Nice tune, little timing error at 210. Sound like the clean guitar on the right is an 8th note late.

Guitars sound really nice, Vocals are very nice.

The drums sound perfect in places, the tom especially right there at the end. I'd do a drum-bass mix and let the rest fall into place.

I like the deep mega-bass. If this had overdriven guitars it would be a disaster with bass like that, but with these direct sounding clean guitars, it works for me. I'm not crazy about the guitar performance. It almost sounds like you're playing two different songs at once. I really don't have any problems with the mix though. I think the drums are fine. Vocals are good.

Cool, thanks guys. Poetic - I'll try bumping up the snare a tiny bit and see if that makes it pop (no pun intended) a little more. Manslick - DAMMIT! I just noticed that. Not sure how I missed it. I probably nudged it by mistake - thanks for the catch.

I like the deep mega-bass. If this had overdriven guitars it would be a disaster with bass like that, but with these direct sounding clean guitars, it works for me. I'm not crazy about the guitar performance. It almost sounds like you're playing two different songs at once. I really don't have any problems with the mix though. I think the drums are fine. Vocals are good.

Thanks man. Agreed, I knew I could only use that big bass if I had clean guitars that stay out of the way. I do hear what you're saying about the performance on the guitars - they're both wildly different parts that I mashed together.

Back