Creative drought, so heres a Beach Boys cover..

Bassman

Creative drought, so heres cover

Hey all,

Well, I haven't been around, and hadn't been doing much on the music side of things. I recently became a victim of the Economy and the poor Telecom Market, as the startup I was working for went under. So with 2 months severance and not much to do, my buddy came by to jam on Thursday. So we threw down a cover tun for old times sake..

I know I haven’t been around to post comments on others material and I am not one to ask for reviews and not give any. SO I promise I will be listening to others tunes. I know this is a stupid cover song and some may say "lets hear something original!!!" But something like this lets me learn more in Cakewalk and exercise my engineering skills when the original stuff isn’t happening (It is in the works though). This was a pretty big mix too, with a 7 track instrumental and 9 tracks of vocals.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and since this is practice for recording original material, criticism is always welcome.

Thanks,

Bassman

Last edited:
Awesome.... stellar.... EXCELLENT!!! :)

Great job in all aspects of the performance, recording, and mix.

Who did the vocals?

Don't tell me that it was all just YOU... that would be really impressive.

As for the song being a "stupid cover".... I don't think you really believe that, or you wouldn't have put so much effort into it.

"California Girls" is a classic, without a doubt.

Great job!

Hey, since you have that nice organ, I wouldn't mind hearing a "stupid cover" version of Deep Purple's "Hush"!!!! ;)

Thanks Buck,

You know the "stupid cover" comment was for the guys who think the only think worth recording is something original... We spent about 5 hours tracking(and learning) it on Thursday, and about an additional 5-6 hours fixing , adding and mixing.

the track break down Is...

Me -> Drums, Perc, Guitar, Bass and lead vocal(double tracked it the classic style)

Jeff -> Organ, Vibes, Sax and ALL of the backups. There are 7 tracks to the backups.

The Keys, Sax and drums are all soundfonts.

Thanks for listening.....

Pretty authentic, I don't know how much of a compliment this is but I thought your vocals sounded a lot like one of the they might be giants vocalists in places, (especially the 'and's) I guess it just the accent. The mix sounded fine to my inexperienced ears. Nice work, bides well for your original stuff ;).

Jags

I downloaded this song and my computer must have just eaten it up. It didn't automatically pull up my media player and play the song like the other tunes i d/l did. It is probably somewhere in my music library, but that is like finding a needle in a haystack. Maybe it will turn up someday.

t

Great job, especially considering the time frame you accomplished it in. Beach Boys - that's a tough vocal job!
I am really into doing orginals, but I like to do a cover every once in a while, so that I don't forget what a good song looks like.
:-)

Finetunes;.. thanks, Yea the vocals can be a bitch..unless you are a beach boys fanatic like the guy who sang them. He knows just about evey part to every song and who is singing it. Its really cool... I like doing this cover stuff because it lets me concentrate on getting a sound I am familiar with and being able to measure my work against it. It also takes the job of producing away and lets me focus on the engineering. I do have original stuff going as well.. When the Singer/writer copy writes them maybe I will post one or two.

Langleyt... Sorry to hear you lost it, why dont you download it again? instead of just clicking the link, right click on the link and do save as...and save it to your desktop so you can find it..

Bassman, i followed your instructions and downloaded the song. Thanks for the help; i would not have wanted to have missed hearing it. WOW! All i can say is it was fantastic.

Wow guys...thanks for the rave reviews... It just goes to show what can be done on a minimal amount of equipment. I recorded it on my Delta 66, Mic is an NT1, the guitar is run thruogh A J-station. Bass is direct, Drums, Organ, Vibes and Sax were all either very inexpensive sound fonts or free.

I am glad eveyone enjoyed it. Since this one came out so great, we are going to tackle another one. This time we are going to attempt Sloop John B, but with an acoustic feel rather than try for a straight cover.

I only like a few BeachBoys tunes...luckily, this is one of them.....you did a fantastic job covering it.....awesome all around recording and mixing......

Great job on all fronts. My only criticism (take with large grain of NaCl, due to $#!tty PC speakers here @ work), move the keys back a little teeny bit in the mix in the outro ~2:20, I was straining to hear the "I wish they all...." line.

I'll listen again at home on the monitors and possibly rescind (sp?) my comments...

IIRC you are the one asking questions in the mic forum re: recording Barbershop/a capella work. It really shows, those harmonies are tight.

Queue

Wow! Really "tight" mix. The musicanship was better than the original I thought;) . Really good work bassman, would like to hear some of your original stuff also...David

That Was Cool...

I dug this rather heavily...
And it's great to see someone really put that kind of detail into a cover tune, rather than some people around here who take a Zeppelin song and butcher it...(I know who I am...)

Great production, perfectly mixed, great lead vocals. And the guitar does sound better ballsy.

And a footnote...I once had a Bass Player in my band.
And he left me to join some dudes named "The Beach Boys".
He is still with them, even though I offered him 25% of my
MP3.com earnings...Chris, wassup wit dat???

True story.

DJ

Great work.

I've been flirting with the idea of doing some covers to help me up the tracking/mixing learning curve.

Love the raunch guitar. Always thought the BB's should have kicked it out a little more.

Thumbs up man!

Bassman,

How's it going?

Would love to hear, but got the dreaded Not Found message.

Back