Creating website for sharing home recordings...

downatone

Well as the subject details...
I've been planning on setting up a website that allows people to upload their own songs and allow others to critique and provide detailed advise on potential improvements.
I will provide the capability for streaming the music as mp3's or downloading them.
There will be a forum (yes similar to this one) that will allow for a 'community' to grow.
Right now I'm looking for a few things:
#1: How many sites like this exist?
#2: Would people be interested in something of the sort?
#3: What other components would you like to see?

cheers
David
:: downatone ::

I know that having other artists review other artists leaves people with great reviews, but they're dishonest - because in return they want a great review (if that makes sense). It'd be nice to have it so just listeners can review the songs - or some way that makes it more honest so there is no worry of a bad review in return. Just make the reviews able to be anonymous.

To critically evaluate of a song remember if its in MP3 format it has to be a good quality conversion. I find that MP3s usually have to be at least 160kbps to get a good idea of what the song really sounds like. When they get to 128kbps they can sometimes be difficult to judge properly. and when they go down to 60kbps (alot of live streaming uses this) they sound just gash and are not even worth trying to review.

grn said:
Just make the reviews able to be anonymous.

Thats a good idea, I'll look into various ways of implementing that...

ecktronic said:
To critically evaluate of a song remember if its in MP3 format it has to be a good quality conversion. I find that MP3s usually have to be at least 160kbps to get a good idea of what the song really sounds like. When they get to 128kbps they can sometimes be difficult to judge properly. and when they go down to 60kbps (alot of live streaming uses this) they sound just gash and are not even worth trying to review.

In general, I won't be recompiling submissions so they are of a standard quality (ex. 160kbps). Whatever gets submitted by the user will be what everyone hears. I find the average user will create mp3's @ 128kbps...
Any suggestions on better ways to do this, or ways around this?

:: downatone ::

Back