Cover: Little Horn by Marilyn Manson

STAT1STICK

I got the weird idea to record a Manson cover so I decided to do this one from Antichrist Superstar. I'm actually gonna do another one which will be Disassociative from Mechanical Animals. Anyway, I recorded all of this over the course of two days and I spent most of last night and this morning mixing and here is the work in progress. Please critique. I did drop the song from a drop D tuning to drop C.

Pre Vocal Master:

Thanks for listening and commenting. :)

Original Version:

Last edited:
Not really diggin the drum sound, didnt seem like the bass had a very good spot in the mix, the guitars sound good just seem to dominate everything, but at the same time maybe thats the way its suppose to be, never heard original version. Would be nice to have vocals.

This is just my impressions as a critical listener. Hopefully someone with more mixing experience will chime in.

I dont normally listen to covers in here but I enjoyed that.....vocals will really bring it up a level

on the mix I wouldnt even know where to start, its sounded like a lots of HFs in there but I dont know the genre well

tight performance, just wanted to say :)

Thanks for listening, guys. I remixed the whole thing and beefed up the low end and filled out the mix a bit more. I also recorded the rest of the guitar parts. As far as instruments are concerned, this song is finished. Please give the new mix a listen and tell me what you think. I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

I added a newer mix just now. I went through this morning and adjusted some levels of some of the guitars. Mainly just the effect guitars like the feedback in the beginning and some other parts. I'm pretty happy with the mix now. Give it a listen and see what you think. Thank you!

Alright... I know that most of you don't really care for this type of music but that's ok.

I went through the mix and did some final adjustments and mastered it just so I can hear what it would sound like. I brought down the guitars quite a bit so that they aren't so prominent. I tweaked the drums just a bit and made them less dull. I brought the bass up and EQ'd it a bit better. I also tweaked some panning on a few of the guitar tracks for a better balance. By the way... I used the fu*k out of my Sustainer for this song.

I'm pretty happy with it. I hope I did the original justice. Anyway... I edited my original post with the new Pre Vocal Master. Thanks for listening.

I like this sort of music, but as a general rule I don't bother with covers in the clinic.

Your guits are pretty brutal and huge. I would like to hear how it sounds with the vocals in.

All I can really hear of the drums is the cymbals and snare, and I'm not a huge fan of a ton of cymbals.

I like that you embedded a really low quality video of the original. Clever way to make yours sound better! :D

I think your guitars have too much gain to the extent the fizziness is clouding the melody. The trick is to record with less distortion/gain than you think you need. I know Manson's guitars are pretty fizzy, but you can clearly hear what they're doing. Mind you having that NIN dude helping him out didn't hurt either

I think your guitars have too much gain to the extent the fizziness is clouding the melody. The trick is to record with less distortion/gain than you think you need. I know Manson's guitars are pretty fizzy, but you can clearly hear what they're doing. Mind you having that NIN dude helping him out didn't hurt either

I agree about the fizziness but I don't think it was my gain. I'm pretty sure it was the layered guitar tracks. I had three sets of main guitar tracks. One set which was mostly played open with no palm muting to give the song a really chaotic and raw sound. The next set was more controlled with more palm muting in places that needed it. The last set was very tight with lots of palm muting to define the rhythm. These tracks weren't mixed too well and it gave the song that nasty fizzy quality. So, I remixed the guitars and balanced out the song a bit more and I think I finally have the sound I was looking for in the beginning. Here's the new mix:

Thanks again to everyone who listened and commented. I really appreciate it. Your advice is always welcome.

Back