Cover Challenge

I guess I missed # 3, sorry man. I did listen again to the others. That 2nd tune...I was listening to how you setup the instruments in the field. Lotsa depth and space between them so they dont get tangled up. I like that a lot, real cool, Pickin and singin is good too man,

Sorry Toki, I was just uploading the remixed version. It's working now. Thanks for checkin out the other stuff:) . That John Hiatt song was recorded on a Tascam 488, so the quality could be a bit better, but it got me by for a few years. Thanks again man!

Twist

Al, I can't believe you dragged this up from page 3, but thanks for the bump!:) I just posted a remix, but most of the changes were so subtle, I think most people won't notice them. Just a few things that were buggin me.

Smokepole, How did you know that was aC#m? You got perfect pitch, or do you always play along:) hehe.. That solo was me trying to be clever. Thanks for the listen!

Hey Dad, Thanks for tuning in. I'm glad you like the hook. I usually get some stupid commercial that sticks in my head till I can't stand it!

Powder, Real drums would be awesome but........I'm thinking about trying something different soon. Loops maybe...

Mixmkr, I just finished doing some fader automation on the sax parts, and I'm a little happier. Uploaded now.

Hi David, It's a real easy song to sing. First take was a keeper. But some of those sax parts make me cringe just a little! Thanks for checkin it out:D

Thanks to all for the listens and kind words!

Twist

Smokepole, How did you know that was aC#m? You got perfect pitch, or do you always play along hehe.. That solo was me trying to be clever. Thanks for the listen!

Hi twist, again, great work!

I don't have perfect pitch but I can pick out certain movements pretty easily. Going to the VI chord there made a lot of sense. I did grab my guitar , but only because I wanted to analyze why that lick sounded that way. If you listen or look at that phrase you see your creating a minor 2nd. That song is too sweet for that.

I hope I don't come off the wrong way, I know this is not the right forum for it but if I feel it will improve the quality of a song overall I just want to make you aware of it.

Joe

Very cool! I have some well-earned time off, and I am trying to catch up on the tunes here. I like the guitar solo, love the sax.

As for nit-picking, the sax is a hair flat on a few notes, but other than that, it is terrific stuff. Great tune, I didnt catch the original, I will have to dig it up.:cool:

Hi there.

Firstly it feels so great to listen to this. Made me feel all smushy inside. Nice.

Anyway, your singing is great. Really nice, like that a Tom Petty song I think but what really blew me away listening to this is the MIddle 8 parts. They take off so well with the brass or sax. After listening to a song arranged and sung by someone else it really makes it a song. Very impressed. So thankyou, and well done.

I used to play the trumpit in the Swing Band at school and there was always rivaly between us and the saxes. When I here a sax on its own I kindof bite my lip. So I liked it but didn`t love that sax part. It grew on me for sure though.

The guitar part is great. Its starts the song so well. Really nice, you know I had no high E string when I did it and so I wonder if you played it or not?

Thanks for showing me this Twist, its ace.

Erland

This is my favorite song in clinic history--I gotta say you did a fine job-I wouldnt have thought of this with full arrangement, cause I'v heard that awesome bare bones version so many times, but you pulled it off well. Really good!-Though one or 2 things bothered me-that psuedo high hat sound-in my left ear is a touch annoying--Maybe riding the voice a bit during the bridge? You have alot more to compete with there compared to the rest of the tune-but the voc volume seems to stay the same...But anyway I liked this a ton, can't go wrong with this song!

DavidK, Thanks for checking it out. The clinic is screamin, so it'll take you days to get caught up, but there is some great stuff. Yeah, some of those sax parts make me cringe a bit, but to master the instrument, you really have to practice!

Hey Erland, Glad it turned out OK for you. I would love to have a real horn section. Trumpet would be soooo nice! Thanks for checking in!

Stratomaster, I totally agree about the Hi-Hat. The drum machine gives you the basic idea of what I'm after, but it never has quite the right sounds. I'm exploring the alternatives. I was worried about the vocals competing with the saxes during the bridge, and tried to scoop the saxes a little, but a little boost may be the best cure. Thanks for the compliments, and thanks to the whole clinic for getting me recording again!

Twist

Back