Country or Folk

• Country

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Folk

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bpoco

At the last minute I've decided to enter a song into the John Lennon Song Writing Contest. So this one is definitely demo material. I'm not looking for any mix feedback (yes, I know this is the mixing clinic, but experience indicates that I won't get good feedback on the Song Writing board).

I'm wondering if this song is country or folk. Since this is for fun and it's costing me $30 for each entry, I decided I wouldn't enter in both categories - so, I'd better get it it the right song category the first time.

Thanks if you have the time to listen

BPOCO

"I Have You"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/bpoco/singles

I would have to say this is folkish. Are you using pick-ups on this acoustic guitar? I think it would sound better if it were recorded with just a mic. Pickups on acoustic guitar have a tendency of making it sound fake and cheap. If you win the John Lennon song contest what do you get?

tjohnston -

Thanks for listening.

As far as the pick ups .... no, I actually mic'd the guitar. Two mics in fact - a Rode and an Audio Technica . It's probably my shitty eq'ing that makes it sound "fake". I'll look into that.

For the contest, I think the grand prized is $20,000 in recording equipment. Honestly, I haven't investigated the prizes.

Thanks again.

BPOCO

My problem is I like all music, but during different times. Depending on what mood I'm in.

I like both, sometimes.

It's not country thats for sure.Sounds a lot like some of the older Dire Straits stuff.....I could hear Mark Knopfler singing this one.Good tune.

Ghost, powerfinger, badgas

Thanks for taking the time to listen and post.

Kramer

Thanks, as well. Dire Straits huh? Interesting.

FOLK IT IS. Look out John Lennon SWC - here I come !!!!

Folk

I like the note choice for 'you' in 'taking my time with you'.

I'd add a rhythm guitar strum on the downbeat of each bar, capoed 7th fret G position holding a 'D' on the E string against the chords.

Phil -

Thanks for listening. But, special thanks for the instrumentation idea. I've been struggling with how I want this song to sound when I get around to making a serious effort to record it. I've been fooling around with a 2nd acoustic playing a rhythm part, but haven't hit on anything that sounds very good. I'm anxious to try out your idea.

Thanks again.

BPOCO

Well, folk

Now just couple of things. Too much effects of the vocals. Take a little off and then, put a little of the same on the guitar. They don't sound like they are in the same place. Nice piece.

Sloop - Thanks for listening. Gee, I'm surprised about the vox reverb suggestion. I thought it was just right. But, thanks for the input.

BPOCO

Back