Concept Song for my band

JohnDude

Hey Guys,

I recorded a song in cubase with guitar and bass.

jomir333.googlepages.com/ad-da.mp3

(copy/paste the link in your browser)
The drum was added with Addictive Drums by midi mapping (manually made the drum track). I was wondering what your thoughts would be on this song.
Some tips and advice for inprovements are more than welcome!
tnx,

John

Last edited:
Man, I had to copy and paste your URL, then it took me to the site and said I had to download the song, which I did that took 1:14 and then I got this message that the path was screwed up and my computer couldn't recognize it.

How about a hot link? Just something where I click on it and it starts playing. That's all I would ever ask of anyone whose opinion I wanted.

Something to consider. I'm still wondering how you sound.

Man, I had to copy and paste your URL, then it took me to the site and said I had to download the song, which I did that took 1:14 and then I got this message that the path was screwed up and my computer couldn't recognize it.

How about a hot link? Just something where I click on it and it starts playing. That's all I would ever ask of anyone whose opinion I wanted.

Something to consider. I'm still wondering how you sound.

That's odd, maybe the file wouldn't open because of the site's protection or something. HAve you tried to press the play button on the top of the download button, the song will (at least it does on my pc) then play directly into your browser. I took your advice and uploaded the song on a second site, jomir333.googlepages.com/ad-da.mp3 this is a direct link to the song. Sorry you have to paste this link again in your browser but I can't post a real link unless I have posted 5 times or more on this forum. Hope you bare with me:p .

Tnx

This has a lot of potential. I like the drums sound you've got, wet, but not too much. I like the melodic high bass line that starts around :34 in the background, but would like to hear it doubled an octave lower for some bottom. I like the stop, and the overall feel of the song. It reminds me of a buddy of mine's music who use to play lead for Bad Company.

What I don't like is the grinding crackle in the background and the clipping. Your DAW is really overdriven in places. Doesn't the little clipping light tell you that that's happening?

Anyway, good start.:)

how do you have the session setup?

just had a listen. I really like where it's going. I dig the energy behind the idea.

My only constructive criticism is this: it's driven way too loud!

Don't be scared to mix low, just as long as feel all your elements aren't getting mushed out of the mix. There are definitely ways of getting your mix to blow up without sacrificing too much clarity.

This has a lot of potential. I like the drums sound you've got, wet, but not too much. I like the melodic high bass line that starts around :34 in the background, but would like to hear it doubled an octave lower for some bottom. I like the stop, and the overall feel of the song. It reminds me of a buddy of mine's music who use to play lead for Bad Company.

What I don't like is the grinding crackle in the background and the clipping. Your DAW is really overdriven in places. Doesn't the little clipping light tell you that that's happening?

Anyway, good start.:)

Tnx for your support, pretty cool you know someone from this band, I searched them on youtube and they sound very cool! I personally find my inspiration in bands like Fallout Boy, Circa survive and Trust Company. These bands are very different to Bad Company but I like their guitar ambience.
Considering the concept song, I know that it is too loud but I get the feeling that if I lower the channels, the overall volume is ultra low compared to modern days rock tracks. How can I still achieve the same energy without the constant clipping? Do I have to compress more or just lower the volume and get used to the sound?

John
how do you have the session setup?

just had a listen. I really like where it's going. I dig the energy behind the idea.

My only constructive criticism is this: it's driven way too loud!

Don't be scared to mix low, just as long as feel all your elements aren't getting mushed out of the mix. There are definitely ways of getting your mix to blow up without sacrificing too much clarity.

Well thank you for listening to it and I'm glad you liked it! My session setup is like this:
-Cubase Sx 3
-Roland Cube 30, using recording output
-Line-in port on my onboard soundcard
-Addictive Drums with Tama Starclassic Kick drum, sonor Designer Snare and Sabian Cymbal kit.
-Epiphone Les Pauls
-Samick Bassguitar 4 strings

Recording:
-Panned on left and right 2 guitars each with different distortion ( classic and X-fier)
Drums and Bassguitar just center ( usually)
For the eddited file ( did not post that one) I used a sidechain event to let the bassguitar duck under the kick because they use the same energy.
I found an excellent tutorial where I learned to do this trick. You can check it out if you want, this mixing type was completely new to me and it really helped me out.

youtube.com/watch?v=oHfN9yeuoew

John

The only problem is that listening to this type of mix can get pretty fatiguing after a while. I can't enjoy Nickelback's album for the same reason.

I did think the overall mix was pretty well done - though fatiguing - everything seemed balanced okay. Very nice guitar work on this....this could sell a lot of EPI's....

dig, the guitars are alright, a little generic sounding but if your cool with that, the loudparts everything is cutting off the drums but it's nicely mixed- it's a great start for a new guy though, and if you like this stuff, I see a bright future for being the engineer of your own band and beyond.

Well, I wish I was a better engineer to help you, but one thing I do know is that if you overdrive the signal in the recording, you can't fix it in the mix. You can still maintain the energy and volume you want by just getting a clean sound for the recording and then you can always boost the volume of a track later on. That's all that I feel is distracting with this piece. Just watch those level meters in Cubase and try to stay out of the red. Boost later, track by track. As I said, I'm not an engineer, that's only a guess. :)

Well, I wish I was a better engineer to help you, but one thing I do know is that if you overdrive the signal in the recording, you can't fix it in the mix. You can still maintain the energy and volume you want by just getting a clean sound for the recording and then you can always boost the volume of a track later on. That's all that I feel is distracting with this piece. Just watch those level meters in Cubase and try to stay out of the red. Boost later, track by track. As I said, I'm not an engineer, that's only a guess. :)

Tnx, I will try that.

Back