The Church:Ase/real strings

DavidK

I redid the tune "Ases Death" and put it in a church setting ( and took away the previous outer space setting :rolleyes: ). All comments are welcome. Crank this sucka up :D 20 real violins on this thang. :eek:

THe Church

Music by Grieg, from the Peer Gynt Suite #1.

Ok, now that's pretty nice...way more stuff to hear. Alot of depth also. I like it man....really cool. :cool:

Way cooler now. I can hear into it lot's better . Consider using the sampled vox from the album...I can't remember which cut, but you know which one I mean.

chazba

I like the different sections to this...
- violins and bells/piano?
- the build up in the second one of violins/organ
- violins and voices
- violins/huge pipe organ and voices
oops I might have given away the story..... :D

In less time than you predicted (couple days?), you have completely rebuilt this into an even nicer piece... Excellent arrangement - I like the way you've combined instruments to create the soundscape.

0:44 - not sure that patch might be a bit loud - seems to stick out a bit...
1:52 - great dramatic impact here - powerful

Glad you kept those voices in there.......

Your playing is inspiring as always....

:D :) :D :)

Thanks for listening Ed, Chuck, Chris, Gerry. :)

0:44 - not sure that patch might be a bit loud - seems to stick out a bit...

Good ears. :cool: Its too loud.

- violins and bells/piano?
- the build up in the second one of violins/organ
- violins and voices
- violins/huge pipe organ and voices

Orchestration:

20 violins

Synth Patches-

Low Strings-3
Guitars-2
Harp-1
Harpsichord
4 Organs
Lots of voice patches
Tubular Bells

I was messing with eq tonight and had a breakthrough. I have a much better version stringwise. More mellow, less harshness. I severely cut the upper frequencies and its much improved. I will post it later.

In less time than you predicted

I havent left the house today. :D

chrisharris said:
The banjo was almost impossible to make out
Ok....I think Ed needs to give that at least a 6...... :D
I laughed out loud, and haven't had that much to drink.... :p

DavidK said:
I replaced the mp3 with the mew and improved mellower mp3/ :cool:
I can't say it's a drastic improvement as the first version sounded extremely cool to me.... :o
But, it's still a nice piece....when I heard the stripped down one, it didn't do alot for me...too sparse. The buildup in this one, and the sounds are much better....for someone like myself. I now can get some pictures in my mind of what I enterpret the song as.

Man those violins sound nice.....

Latest version is smoother, less harsh, but still has good tone/brightness.

The reverb tails are really nice too - blending the adjoining parts.

It was guitars.....I should always go with my first guess... :D

:D :D :D :D

Thanks Ed and Gerry.

I should finish the first part of this soon. You will recognize it immediately and possibly laugh :D Its called "Morning" and is literally in thousands and thousands of cartoons. Any time it's, errr, ummm, morning in a cartoon. Its one of those things that everyone in the world has heard thousands of times but never really thinks about it.

Is it that one in the Bugs Bunny cartoons - that's played on (I think) a flute?
Anyway that name "Ase" gets me every time I read it :rolleyes: ;) :D

ido1957 said:
Is it that one in the Bugs Bunny cartoons - that's played on (I think) a flute?
Anyway that name "Ase" gets me every time I read it :rolleyes: ;) :D
1. Yup, its the flute one.

2/ Ase is Peer Gynts momma. Umm, she dies. :D

I have no clue what this is about. Its music to a play by Ibsen. Ibsen hated the music, which went on to become one of the biggest hits of all time.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM strings.
The harpiscord (my sic) sounds right for a h' but a little thin for the piece. Or it may be me responding to it's isolation & panning.
You know I actually miss the bottom end from the 1st attempt! I am using h/phones though.
I think Grieg would have been shocked and delighted at the rearrangement.
You've breathe new air into this mate. A much maligned and underrated piece that should get a new breath once this is completed.
I'll have to listen to the MP3 and get back to you - this is ssssoooooo new getting used to it or accommodating it in my chaotic mind will take a couple of listens.
BUT IT'S really, really GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooDDDDddddddd as well as a challenge - that's the point after all.

Thanks Ray :cool:

The harpiscord (my sic) sounds right for a h' but a little thin for the piece.

Nobody said it was staying :D I dont like the Harpsichord at all. I dont like the patch, its thin and lousy. The idea may work but only with a better patch. If I get a new keyboard soon I might try again, if not I may cut it. I might cut the guitars too. Originally that stuff was for me to hear the changes since strings have the attack problem. Thanks for checkin it out. :)

I always love this death orchestra kind-of-thing, I'm heavily influenced by Final Fantasy games. I really like the tune, for the instruments, I have no idea what is in there.

But very cool!

I love the violins in it. The harpsichord fits the arrangement IMO but its attack is it too big and close sounding. It's tone during the sustain is very good I think. My only problem with the arrangement is that churches make me nervous, so I'd lean towards the outer space version. Harpsichord and violins in outer space. But that pipe organ sounds good too, so I dunno.

Thanks, gema and Tim. :)

My only problem with the arrangement is that churches make me nervous, so I'd lean towards the outer space version.

I dont think my synth can pull off the outer space version. After owning it for 6 years, I know all the good patches. It has about 15 :D Its not very good for the ambient stuff, or maybe I am no good at the ambient stuff. :eek: :D Once a classical geek, always a classical geek. :)

Back