Christian rap/rock song. Ready for release?

Dutch Dave

click: It's About Time

I posted this song quite a while ago, I got some valuable criticism which made me realize the mix wasn't quite as good as I hoped it would be. The biggest issue seemed to be the core sounds.
So we recorded it again with a bunch of other songs. I mixed this one first because we want this to be the first track we release on the internet.

I'm curious what you think about the mix. Is it ready to be released on the internet?

not bad. i think the song has some extremely well-executed aspects and the rest is just potential waiting to burst! here's my critique:

intro sounds great--pro sound.

the kick is right where it needs to be. nice, punchy, exactly as it should be for this song.

i really like the snare sound overall. even, snappy, and tight. i would add a couple dB on the mix and maybe add some mids for bigger punch (assuming you have a separate snare track).

vox are nice and clear, present, smoooth--really perfect for this style. you even managed to avoid p-pops despite exaggerated (per genre) "b" and "p" sounds. well done.

the bass guitar needs brought up. you may even be able to achieve the dB increase with additive low eq, which i think it could use.

the guitar is not present enough and also a bit thin. dial down the distortion, lay a double track of it, and pan the two new rhythm guitar tracks at around 2 and 10 o'clock. this will make the guitar much bigger as this style demands.

and now for my big idea for this song...

ok, i especially like the guitar harmonics at the 2:33 to 2:57 section. i'd keep that particular part of the original guitar track, drop out the double tracks (if you end up taking my advice), and use only the original track at this part. it will give that section a really pronounced feel of "the wall of sound just disappeared for the breakdown," and then BAM right back to the double-tracked rhythm. it'd be HUGE!!!

of course, take it all fwiw. i'm no guru by any stretch.

good luck, good song! :)

nice improvement! the guitars are definitely beefier. the bass seems to fade in and out, as if it needs compression or maybe just a bit more articulation. and the harmonics section could be tucked back a bit too. but i could just be getting picky now. this is really a big improvement!

are you planning on getting it mastered? some master eq and compression could bring everything together more tightly and make it more cohesive. overall i think you've done pretty well.

Back