Chaos/math/metal/grind/whatever (unfinished... not for faint of heart)

xtjdx

This is a song I'm working on for my band (I don't know if we'll even be able to play it). The transitions are stupid, the structure is still up in the air, and I have not even begun to plan anywhere past a minute and forty six seconds for it - but I'll put it on here anyway! The rhythm guitars are probably really sloppy because I just slapped those on and worked 110% on the technical guitar work (it's still not where I want it to be, but that will change soon). All input would be very much appreciated.
Here it is
Be gentle (and take the math aspect into account! I don't like music theory!).
Thanks,

Tim

HUGE EDIT : Ignore the last breakdown. I just realized it's definitely a ripoff from Poison the Well and I wasn't thinking when I recorded it. Oops.

HUGE EDIT #2 : Ugh. My server is being really slow tonight. NL5 is awesome

Last edited:
I LOVE PIG DESTROYER, TOO!!!!

This will be killer when it's done can't wait to hear the finished product!

Great start!

Thanks dude. Pig Destroyer is way fun to listen to (and I'm driving to Harrisonburg, VA this weekend to see them with The Red Chord. Should be an awesome show). I need to find a real drummer who can play this song and then it might be worth something.

Hahah I hear the Poison The Well thing......I have been guilty of the same thing and not even realizing it....

Pig Destroyer is a fun listen.....All there stuff was recorded the same way most of us on this board do.....At home with there own budget equipment....

Song is good.....It also makes me realize that I suck at mixing.......I can't wait until I have some free time to mix them other songs I just posted......

Kinda reminds me of a cross between Posion and Dillinger

Haha, thanks dude! Much appreciation.
Chad, your mixes sounded good dude, I don't know what you're talking about. It's a lot easier to get Fruityloops to sound properly mixed than an acoustic kit, and the mixes from you that I heard sounded really good.

After reading the first few post, I was expecting some noisy metalcore BS. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate Dillinger but what I can't appreciate is the 2 billion bands that decided to steal their sound shortly after Calculating Infinity hit stores.
With that said this is actually some cool stuff. Your "math" sections seem to sound alot more coherent than many bands who have tried to do stuff like this. It also sounds more harmonically pleasing to my ears. Its not just a jumble of random tri-tones and things of that nature. The only thing I didn't care for was the breakdowns. Those things are way too overdone and way too predictable in this style. Thats just my opinion though, so take it for what its worth.

I'm not a fan of Pig Destroyer.

I am a fan of Meshuggah which in my opinion accomplish the "math" without getting you lost into nothingness (ahem...Dillinger). You did an alright job. But it gets boring if over done.

Did you use Amplitube for guitars? I always hear picking in your music. Urrt urrt urrt urrt. You hackin at the strings?

Hey, thanks for the criticism. The breakdowns are something that I definitely just threw together for now, to get a baseline for the rhythm of the song. The new version I'm working on takes the breakdowns one step further, and uses more than 4 chords! Who would've thought!?
I'm pretty fed up with the metalcore scene right now and that is the main reason I am doing something like this. Maybe it will inspire someone to go learn something other than generic riffs from 3 year old bands and that will be one less person's band that I walk outside for.
Thanks again for listening and giving input, mucho mucho gracias.

livilaNic said:
I'm not a fan of Pig Destroyer.

I am a fan of Meshuggah which in my opinion accomplish the "math" without getting you lost into nothingness (ahem...Dillinger). You did an alright job. But it gets boring if over done.

Did you use Amplitube for guitars? I always hear picking in your music. Urrt urrt urrt urrt. You hackin at the strings?

Haha, yeah I use Amplitube and yes, I'm hacking at the strings. The only picks I can find around here are 1mms! Today, I will buy thinner picks. Like I said, this isn't even close to the final song, this is just kind of a sketch of a few sections that I'm thinking of in my head. I've never really had a chance to listen to Meshuggah. Today, I will do that. Thanks for listening.

xtjdx said:
Haha, yeah I use Amplitube and yes, I'm hacking at the strings. The only picks I can find around here are 1mms! Today, I will buy thinner picks. Like I said, this isn't even close to the final song, this is just kind of a sketch of a few sections that I'm thinking of in my head. I've never really had a chance to listen to Meshuggah. Today, I will do that. Thanks for listening.

LMAO. I just went and listen to this song I'm fuckin around with usin Amplitube. I hear it also. But not as much. Maybe its a set in Amplitube thats causing it. Para EQ or the DIS in the stomp. Ima go fuck with it and find out.

Try and look for something off NOTHING or DESTROY, ERASE, IMPROVE. SOme of thier best shit on those albums.

L8er,
livilaNic

Ill second Destroy Erase Improve. This was the top of their career IMHO. I think the new stuff is still good/interesting but not nearly as inventive, powerful or even dynamic. That album is definitely in my top 20 metal albums of all time.

That was ok to me.

The breaks were a little "look, i got a bag 'o' riffs style".

But it was ok i guess.

Just seemed like the riffs didnt have much to do with each other ya; know?

I did however like the fast noodling stuff in the middle, but again it didnt really fit into any sort of grand scheme.

At any rate thanks for posting metal here.

Its my fav.

Back