Celtic Fantasy--Live Tin Whistle (Merry Christmas!)

Auralaxiom

Well it's been a while since I've posted; been super busy with projects that I unfortunately can't post on Soundcloud...I guess that's a good thing :guitar:. I finally found some time to get back to work on a personal project that has been sitting on the burner for the past 2 1/2 years. I feel like the story behind this piece deserves to be told but there's not really a short version so feel free to just skip the story and check out the tune: https://soundcloud.com/auralaxiom/celtic-fantasy

So this was written, recorded, and programmed in one day, Saint Patty's Day 2013 to be precise. My fellow composer (and good friend) Joshua Frerichs--he's currently the reason I have the job that I have, but that's another story for another day--called me up and said "dude, I have an idea, let's compose, bring your whistles." It being Saint Patrick's Day, I picked up a pack of Guiness on the way. Apparently, he had the same idea, so there was no shortage of that brown gold.

So I get to his house and we get right to it. He had a handful of chords, I had a sketch of a melody, and we both made the road map for the song. This was truly a 50/50 contribution from both of us; he programmed the percussion, I programmed (most of) the strings. He had the chords, I had the melody.

By the end of the night, we were both...well, we were both in the spirit of Saint Patrick's Day, but the song was done. Back then neither of us really knew what we were doing so, a few months later, we agreed to keep working on it until it was "good enough" for release. 2 1/2 years later, here we are.

That is not to say I think this tune is God's gift to your eardrums, lest you think me pretentious by deeming the song worthy of a story. I think the story is fun by itself. Besides that, it's special to me as it's literally my first composition ever. I composed the introduction in Logic using Logic strings (which were of course replaced, first by Josh's LASS strings then by my Hollywood Strings).

Anyway, as always I am keenly interested in your ideas to make this tune better, as Josh and I plan to shamelessy hock it to music libraries. Please leave your love, hate, constructive AND non-constructive criticisms in the comments below. And Merry Christmas.

Oh, I should note that this tune features live penny whistle (played by me) guitar bass (played by Josh) and, of course, shaker

Extremely well done. Great tune, great playing. Lots of variation throughout . . . plenty to keep the listener engaged.

I'm listening through headphones, which are not always the best way to judge something, so I can't offer suggestions for improvement, but, in my view, it doesn't need improvement.

I'm with Gecko. Well played and arranged. I wouldn't mind hearing a little more power from the low end.

Extremely well done. Great tune, great playing. Lots of variation throughout . . . plenty to keep the listener engaged.

I'm listening through headphones, which are not always the best way to judge something, so I can't offer suggestions for improvement, but, in my view, it doesn't need improvement.

Thanks, that's good to hear!

I like it. I only listened on earbuds on my phone, so cant give good critique. Did notice the bottom end lacking a bit. Everything is well balanced and clear

But overall I like it. That's movie soundtrack material you've got there.
Immediately it took me to a place. Could have been the highlands. :D

:thumbs up:

The whistle, shaker and percussion sound great. Personally I'm not a fan of strings blending in like that - makes it sound like theme music for a TV travel show. Mixing and arranging quality is top notch, it sounds very polished & professional. Good job

Back